Subscribe for 33¢ / day

WATERLOO — For two full periods, the Waterloo Black Hawks didn’t give their fans at Young Arena much to cheer about Tuesday.

Going 0-for-4 on the power play did not help the cause, and Sioux City seemed to beat the Black Hawks to every puck.

Waterloo changed that in the third period, helping fans forget the first two with a jolt of offense that led to a 2-1 United States Hockey League win over Sioux City.

“They did beat us to the puck,” Waterloo coach P.K. O’Handley said. “We did not play well until the third and that’s when we decided to play hockey and compete for everything.”

The Musketeers (20-18-4-2) scratched a tally through the crease just five minutes into the game and goalie Matt Jurusik protected that one-goal advantage by turning away 19 shots by Waterloo (27-14-3-1) in the first two periods.

When the game turned, it turnd quickly.

Jackson Cates provided the lift his team needed as he beat Jurusik through the five-hole 27 seconds into the final frame to tie the game.

“Jackson Cates has been so good to us all year and his goal is just what we needed,” O’Handley said. “We talk about getting second efforts off plays and that was a good second effort. I thought we defended reasonably well in the game and that goal changed the momentum for sure.”

Two minutes after Cates’ goal, Bobby Trivigno picked up the puck behind the net, skated around the right post and let fly with a wrap-around opportunity. His shot skipped over Jurusik’s pad and reached the back of the nylon to give the Black Hawks their first lead.

“I was looking for the wrap-around chance because the defenseman was chasing me around and let off,” Trivigno said. “I tried to put it away right away, and when I saw it roll over his pad I knew it was in. It felt so great, honestly, to get that goal. We needed that to get us going.

“We played great defensively all night, but we just came out not ready to play or even a little lackadaisical I think,” added Trivigno. “We let off the gas early and had to step on it and play our way to get the momentum back. Cates’ goal did just that for us.”

With the game winding down and Waterloo clinging to a one-goal edge, netminder Jared Moe made two huge saves to keep the score 2-1.

With 4:06 remaining, Moe tucked inside his net and made a big left pad stop to thwart a two-on-one chance by the Musketeers.

Moments later, Moe came out to stuff another opportunity as he used his glove to snag a close-range shot. For the night, he snuffed out 21 of the 22 blasts he faced.

“We have work to do yet with the ability to play better,” O’Handley said. “Saturday night was more of an aberration ( an 8-5 loss to Lincoln). Tonight was a good start for us.”

Waterloo 2, Sioux City 1


Sioux City 1 0 0 — 0

Waterloo 0 0 2 — 2

FIRST PERIOD — 1. Sioux City, Ranta (Mills, Koepke), pp, 5:01. Penalties — Wait-Wat. (slashing) 4:15, Grounds-SC (tripping) 11:34, Clurman-SC (hooking) 16:34.

SECOND PERIOD — No scoring. Penalties — Hernandez-SC (tripping) 2:44, Blumel-Wat. (high-sticking) 9:21, Ford-SC (boarding) 15:42.

THIRD PERIOD — 2. Waterloo, Cates (Bakich, Jacques), :27. 3. Waterloo, Trivigno (Drury, Copeland), 3:05. Penalty — Ford-SC (tripping) 7:36.


Sioux City 6 8 8 — 22

Waterloo 6 13 17 — 36

Power-plays — Sioux City 1-for-2. Waterloo 0-for-5.

Goaltenders — Sioux City, Jurusik (36 SOG, 34 saves). Waterloo, Moe (22 SOG, 21 saves).

Officials — Referees, Parker, Bruggeman. Linesmen, Jackson, Dolan. Att. — 2,349.


Load comments