- Field manager Scott Douglas is returning to lead the Waterloo Bucks for the 2017 Northwoods League season that begins May 30.
The Bucks went 36-36 last summer under Douglas' direction, a five-game improvement from the 2015 season.
- Iowa State has added Texas-San Antonio graduate transfer Jeff Beverly to its men's basketball roster.
Beverly is a 6-foot-6, 250-pound forward who led the Roadrunners with 15.8 points per game this past season. He also played football at USTA.
- Maple Lanes is looking for "special athletes" and community volunteers to compete in a summer bowling league beginning May 16.
Registration information is available online at www.maplelaneswaterloo.com or at the bowling center. There is no cost to volunteers. For more information, contact Maple Lanes at (319) 234-1414.
- Waterloo West senior Divine Washington has signed a letter of intent to join the Hawkeye Community College cross country team.
Washington has competed as a distance runner all four years at West.
- University of Northern Iowa senior Dustin Atkinson has been named to the Missouri Valley Conference men's golf scholar-athlete team.
Atkinson owns a 3.22 grade-point average and ranked 21st in scoring average in the MVC at 75.08.
- Waterloo Columbus graduate and Luther softball standout Anna Strien has been selected to the District 8 Academic All-District Team after accumulating a 3.7 grade-point average.
Strien, a political science major, is also having a stellar season on the diamond for the third-ranked Norse. She is second in Division III with 61 RBIs and third in batting average at .554.
- Wartburg junior Mara Forsyth has been selected to the CoSIDA Academic All-District team.
To be nominated, an athlete must be a starter or important reserve with at least a 3.30 GPA. Forsyth, an elementary education major, is currently pulling a 3.74 GPA.