C.R. Jefferson (3-4, 2-1) at
No. 5 Cedar Falls (6-1, 3-0)
- When: Friday, 7:15 p.m.
- Where: UNI-Dome, Cedar Falls
- Last week: Jefferson beat Waterloo East 42-12, Cedar Falls took down Waterloo West 38-0.
- Last meeting: Cedar Falls eked out a 14-10 win in Cedar Rapids last October.
- What to watch: Having already secured a spot in the 4A state tournament, the Tigers will clinch the District 5 title outright with a win Friday. To do so, a defense that has allowed just six points in the last three games will have to stay sharp against the Hawks' option attack. While a balanced run game, in which five different players have gained at least 137 yards, provides challenges, Jefferson has found more success through the air. Leading the way is senior wideout Kyler Bell, who has 609 receiving yards and is averaging 21.8 yards per catch this season. ... Cedar Falls running back Sam Gary eclipsed 1,000 yards last week and has rushed for at least 140 in all but one game. Quarterback Luke Gillett has throw 17 touchdowns to just one interception this season.
- Cedar Falls coach Brad Remmert: On team's mindset after clinching a playoff berth: "I don't even think the players have looked at that honestly. I don't think any of the talk has been postseason around here. We can't do anything about what happens in Week 9 or what happens down the road."
On defending Jefferson: "They've got a very good vertical passing game. There's a lot of balls they complete down field for big plays. We know they're an explosive team. The option they run, with some of the things you have to deal with, you have to play assignment football across the board."