- University of Northern Iowa senior Bennett Koch has been invited to participate in the inaugural 3x3&U National Championship in San Antonio during the Final Four this weekend.
The new event features 32 four-man teams from every Division I conference. They compete in a three-day, 3-on-3 tournament for part of a $100,000 prize pool. Competition begins Friday.
- Waterloo Black Hawks center Garrett Klee has announced his intention to play college hockey at Northern Michigan.
Klee is in his second season with Waterloo and has five goals and seven assists so far this season.
- The University of Northern Iowa Panther Caravan is planning a stop at Waterloo’s Center for the Arts May 22.
It’s the second year for the Caravan, which features UNI coaches and administrators in meet-and-greet stops across the state. President Mark Nook, athletic director David Harris and Panther coaches Mark Farley, Ben Jacobson, Tanya Warren, Doug Schwab and Bobbi Petersen are expected at the Waterloo event.
The event is free and takes place from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- The University of Northern Iowa has announced its Panther Swim camps that begin in late April at UNI’s Wellness and Recreation Center pool.
The three-day camps are for boys and girls ages 7-18. Hours are 9:45 a.m.-2 p.m. and instruction includes starts and turns, freestyle and backstroke, butterfly and breaststroke. Cost is $140.
Online registration is available at www.pantherswimcamps.com.
- The Cedar Valley Soccer Club is partnering with Iowa Youth Sports Initiative to provide training and education to youth coaches, parents and athletes.
Iowa Youth Sports Initiative is a statewide non-profit organization that provides speakers, panels and workshops to youth sports organizations, addressing issues such as sportsmanship, bullying, winning honorably, building a championship culture, developing leaders, what makes a good coach and how to communicate with youth sports parents, among others.
Through its Best Practice Membership Plan, IYSI will provide training and education to CVSC coaches, parents and athletes at free or discounted prices and program support and advocacy. CVSC coaches, volunteers and parents will receive annual orientation and training provided by the IYSI.
For more information about the IYSI, email Nancy Justis at email@example.com.
National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum
- is hosting a special autograph signing with Dan Gable at the UNI-Dome on Friday at 11 a.m.
The signing will take place during USA Wrestling’s Folkstyle Nationals.
“This is a great way to generate interest for the World Cup in Iowa City the following weekend,” said museum namesake Dan Gable.
“I’m proud to be part of two successful USA Wrestling events on back-to-back weekends.”
All are welcome to attend this special autograph signing at the UNI Dome.
- Joe Alexander of Cedar Falls has been inducted into the British Sports car Hall of Fame.
Alexander is the owner of Alexander Racing Enterprises in Jesup and a founding member of the Friends of Triumph.
The induction ceremony for the British Sports Car Hall of Fame will take place on June 2 in Petersburg, Virginia.