- Several players from Northeast Iowa are scheduled to play in today’s NIACC All-Star boys and girls basketball games in Mason City.
The Girls Gold squad includes Mandy Willems of AGWSR and Gabby Schwarting of Osage. The Girls Blue team features Brenna Jacobs and Madi Johnson of Osage and Liz Jenkins of St. Ansgar.
In addition, the Boys Gold roster features Noah Schlader and Mike Cranshaw of Charles City, Dylan Clipperton of North Butler, Drew Olson, Colin Klapperich and Lucas Schwamman of Osage and Nicholas Bork of St. Ansgar.
- Northern Iowa junior Sarah McMichael has been named honorable mention Missouri Valley Conference women’s golf scholar-athlete.
McMichael, from Nashua, owns a 3.79 grade-point average with a biology major and averaged 78 per 18 holes for the Panther golf team.
- Northern Iowa’s 10th annual Rally in the Valley was a record-breaker.
UNI raised $264,170 for student-athlete scholarships during the popular fundraiser, which drew a crowd of more than 600 to the McLeod Center April 14.
The event included silent and live auctions and a dinner served by UNI student-athletes. The top bid of the night was $29,500 for an all-inclusive villa rental for seven nights in Puerto Villarta, Mexico. A package to attend the 2019 Masters golf tournament went for $20,500.
- Former University of Northe
- rn Iowa All-American Lindsey Wood Stanford has been named to the Missouri Valley Conference 25-Year Anniversary softball team.
Wood set numerous school records for the Panthers from 1999-2002 and was a four-time first-team all-Missouri Valley selection, as well as the 1999 Rookie of the Year and the 2002 Player of the Year. She helped UNI to a conference championship in 2000 and finished with a .446 batting average while becoming the program’s first All-American as a senior.
- University of Northern Iowa golfer Gisela Kemper was named to the Missouri Valley Conference All-Select Team Thursday night at the league championship banquet.
Each Valley team plus tennis member Stony Brook had one player named to the honor squad.