- Iowa State women’s basketball head coach Bill Fennelly announced the signing of Ines Nezerwa Wednesday.
Nezerwa is a 6-foot-3 forward from Nyakabiga, Burundi, who spent last season at Jacksonville College in Jacksonville, Texas, where she averaged 18 points, 10.5 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game while earning All-America honors.
- A school-record eight members of last season’s Wartburg College men’s basketball team have been named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Honors Court.
Bo Bader, Colton Connelly, Josh Gehling, Cam Kickbush, Trevor Larson, Cameron Schult, Connor Schult and Nate Woeste represent the Knights. Recipients must be juniors or seniors, varsity players and own a cumulative grade-point average of 3.2 or better.
- Wartburg College is set to induct eight individuals into its Athletic Hall of Fame as part of Homecoming activities this fall.
Kevin Ault, Josh Dodd, Ashley (Steines) Lansing, Bart Mehlert, Jim Miller, Jamey Parker, Stephanie (Howe) Peterson and Nate Schmidt are the newest additions to the Knights’ group of all-time greats.
Ault was a standout in men’s golf, Dodd was a two-time wrestling All-American, Steines starred in volleyball and was an All-American in softball, and Mehlert was a national champion wrestler and two-time All-American.
Miller was the architect of Wartburg’s rise to national wrestling prominence and one of the most accomplished coaches in the country. Parker earned All-America honors twice as an offensive lineman for the Knights’ football team, Howe was a two-time All-American in softball, and Schmidt excelled on the basketball court for Wartburg.
Swimming and diving
- The University of Northern Iowa will open its 2018-19 season with a golf outing and a dedication to thank fans for recent facility upgrades.
The golf outing for alumni and fans will take place Sept. 28 at Fox Ridge Golf Course in Dike. The four-person best-shot begins at 1 p.m. and the cost is $75, which includes a cart and meal. A $20 meal-only option is also offered. Online registration is available through Sept. 14 at unialum.org/events/swimming-golf-outing.
The block dedication is Sept. 29 at 9:45 a.m. with an intrasquad meet to follow.
- Iowa State quarterback Kyle Kempt is one of 26 quarterbacks named to the 2018 Davey O’Brien Award watch list. The O’Brien Award is presented annually to the nation’s top quarterback.
Cyclone running back David Montgomery is on the Doak Walker Award watch list for the second straight season.
The Walker Award is presented to the nation’s top running back.
- The University of Northern Iowa volleyball program was honored recently by the American Volleyball Coaches Association as a recipient of the AVCA Team Academic Award for last season. It was the seventh straight year the Panthers have earned the honor.
Criteria include a 3.30 cumulative grade-point average. Drake also received the award.