Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Victim recounts attack in Willock's second trial

Victim recounts attack in Willock's second trial

  • 0

WATERLOO -- A woman recounted Wednesday how she was bound and tortured by masked intruders as one of her accused attackers went to trial for a second time.

David Erroll Willock, 33, of Iowa City, is charged with first-degree robbery, kidnapping and burglary in the October 2002 home invasion of the Waterloo townhouse.

A jury found him guilty following a 2003 trial.

But the conviction was overturned on appeal because the district court unfairly allowed prosecutors to try him for that crime and a similar home invasion in Cedar Falls at the same time.

The trial that started Wednesday will only cover the Waterloo incident, and the charges for the Cedar Falls crime will be heard during a separate trial.

Assistant Black Hawk County Attorney Ray Walton said Willock was one of the armed and masked assailants who entered the townhouse at about 12:30 a.m. Oct. 16, 2002. He said the victim -- who was tied up with duct tape, beaten and sexually assaulted -- had met Willock earlier through a female friend.

She later confided in friends and relatives she thought he was involved in the attack, Walton said.

Walton said investigators found Willock's DNA on a gallon water jug and a Mickey Mouse coffee mug recovered from the woman's home. He said police found a Wal-Mart receipt for three rolls of duct tape and ski masks at Willock's home. The slip was dated just hours before the attack.

Defense attorney Jill Ableidinger said her client is innocent.

She said the DNA on the jug and cup were left Oct. 5, 2002, when the victim gave Willock a tour of her home during a visit with the female friend.

Willock was working at the Press Box nightclub in Iowa City on the night of the burglary. He finished at 2 a.m., so it was impossible for him to be in Waterloo, Ableidinger said.

The defense also pointed out that the victim didn't bring up Willock's name during her first two interviews with investigators in October and, when prompted by police during a third interview, said she didn't think Willock was involved.

The victim told jurors she awoke to a loud noise and was confronted by masked men who tied her and her two children with duct tape.

She was punched and hit with a gun by the intruders who wanted her to lure a former boyfriend, Lamont Horton, to the house. They also were interested in the whereabouts of another acquaintance, Alonzo Quinn.

The attackers had her try to reach Horton by phone, but he wasn't answering.

They said they were looking for Quinn and Horton because they had sold them bad drugs, the woman said.

At one point, the attackers sodomized her. One of the men sexually assaulted her before they left, and she was able to call police.

The trial continues today at the Black Hawk County Courthouse.

Willock also is charged in the Oct. 26. 2002, botched abduction of Anthony "Elmo" Cole and Cassy Jenkins from Jenkins' Cedar Falls apartment.

In that case, masked men detained the two in the apartment and then loaded them into Jenkins' car. Cole was able to break free and flee the kidnappers, who later abandoned the car with Jenkins in the trunk.

In an earlier court hearing, prosecutors said Willock and others were trying to find Cole, Quinn and Horton in an effort to get money from them.

This happened after Chicago police seized a suitcase with $63,000 in cash from Cole Sept. 20, 2002.

Quinn and his pregnant girlfriend, Rhiannon Olsen, were shot to death in Quinn's Waterloo home in January 2003. No one has been arrested in their deaths.

Contact Jeff Reinitz at (319) 291-1578 or


Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News