{{featured_button_text}}

CEDAR FALLS – Fire gutted an out building near Cedar Falls and damaged a car and motorcycle inside Saturday morning, according to fire officials.

No injuries were reported.

The metal building at 4930 N. Union Road near the Janesville border had been used to store furniture and materials for a house being built on the back of the lot, said Cedar Falls Fire Chief John Bostwick.

Around 8:55 a.m., a contractor who was working on the house noticed flames and attempted to put it out with a fire extinguisher, Bostwick said. When that failed he called 911, and crews from Cedar Falls and Janesville fire departments arrived.

“We tried to keep it from going too far,” Bostwick said. To help firefighters enter the building, the owner pulled down an overhead door using a tow chain and a truck, Bostwick said. He said the building contained propane, gasoline and acetylene tanks, and firefighters removed the tanks and some of the furniture.

Because there are no fire hydrants in the area, fire crews also set up a portable tank and shuttled water to the address with trucks.

The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
0
0
0
0
0

Load comments