Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
PHOTOS/VIDEO: Guilty, innocent, undecided: Two verdicts in Logan Avenue murder case

PHOTOS/VIDEO: Guilty, innocent, undecided: Two verdicts in Logan Avenue murder case

  • Updated
  • 2

WATERLOO – Doncorrion Spates turned and attempted to leave the courtroom Friday afternoon after hearing a jury found him guilty of first-degree murder in the July 2016 shooting death of Otavious Brown.

Deputies turned the 17-year-old Waterloo resident around as Judge Brad Harris read the remainder of the verdict, which found him guilty of attempted murder in the shooting of Dewon Campbell Jr. and intimidation with a weapon.

Moments later, there was a quick burst of applause when the judge announced that jurors had acquitted co-defendant Shavondes Martin, 22, of all counts.

Jurors were still unable to reach a verdict for charges on Armand Rollins, 17, and they are expected to return to the courthouse Monday to continue deliberations.

The unusual move to take some of the verdicts before deliberations were complete came as one of the jurors is scheduled to depart on vacation over the weekend. Attorneys for Rollins agreed to allow a substitute juror — who hasn’t been in discussions with the rest of the jury but remained under admonition since closing arguments — to rejoin the panel when they return Monday.(tncms-asset)d0c29dd4-0dee-11e8-afee-00163ec2aa77[1](/tncms-asset)

The jury, which began deliberations Tuesday following a week of testimony, initially indicated they were having trouble reaching a consensus on Thursday. Further indications of complications Friday afternoon triggered a series of conferences between the court and attorneys, but ultimately jurors said they had reached verdicts for one, and then two, of the defendants.

Following the verdict, a family member of Spates left the courtroom and began screaming in the hallway. Spates began muttering as Harris informed him about his appeal rights and was hustled out of the courtroom by deputies.(tncms-asset)9ce27bc8-0def-11e8-83b6-00163ec2aa77[2](/tncms-asset)

Prosecutors said Spates, Martin and Rollins were in a SUV and opened fire on a group of people outside 817 Logan Ave. on July 17, 2016. Brown, 21, was struck in the back and later died at the hospital.

A bullet struck Dewon Campbell Jr. in the side, and Aundrey Roberts Jr. was shot in the foot. Both survived.

The SUV driver, Jacques Williamson, earlier pleaded to lesser charges. He testified the three defendants threatened him at gunpoint and forced him to drive past the Logan Avenue address. Williamson, who denied shooting, said Martin was in the front seat and Spates and Rollins were in the backseat.

Testimony in the trial began Jan. 29.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News