FLOYD, Iowa --- Casey Frederiksen admitted helping carry Evelyn Miller’s dead body to the river, according to court records. He also told fellow inmates that he had sexually abused the girl since she was small.

Authorities during their investigation of the July 2005 murder of 5-year-old Evelyn, they kept secret the fact the girl died of sharp injuries to her neck and evidence she had been sexually abused. Newly released court records, however, shed light on how the girl died and suggest how authorities pieced the case together.

As the investigation continued, Frederiksen changed his story about what happened in the early morning hours of July 1, 2005, once pointing the finger at an acquaintance, and at other times disclosing information that only someone involved in the slaying would know, according to the criminal complaint and affidavit signed by DCI Agent Chris Callaway.

He once asked a prisoner at the Bremer County Jail for a reaction.

“What would you say if I told you that I had done it,” Frederiksen allegedly said.

When he learned authorities were adding drug charges to his child pornography charges in 2009, Frederiksen told the inmate he would “get away with murder and still do life.”

Frederiksen also admitted enjoying watching men have sex with small children and said he was aroused while changing Evelyn’s diapers, though he told police he never acted on those urges.

According to court records, Frederiksen told investigators he went to bed about midnight the night of Evelyn’s disappearance. He said he woke about two hours later to feed his younger sons but went back to sleep. Police later received information that acquaintances Randy Patrie and Danny Slick were at Frederiksen’s apartment about 2:30 a.m. They said they saw Evelyn alive.

Frederiksen told detectives he didn’t use drugs and his computer was not working. When told that authorities intended to search his apartment, Frederiksen head-butted a wall and split his forehead open.

On July 2, 2005, while the search for Evelyn was in full swing, Frederiksen and a friend drove to Des Moines and then Waterloo. Frederiksen was later reluctant to talk about the trip with authorities and changed his story about what he did, according to court records.

Evelyn’s body was found July 7, 2005. An autopsy determined Evelyn died of “sharp force injuries, including wounds to the neck,” and there was evidence of a sexual assault.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

The investigation included the use of canine teams that picked up scents along the Cedar River near the most likely place where Evelyn’s body entered the water. Later, specially trained FBI dogs indicated Frederiksen’s scent was in the area, but Patrie’s was not.

The location was about a 1.5-mile straight line from the apartment building and would take about an hour and 25 minutes to walk.

In August 2005, after Frederiksen and Miller moved out, a neighbor turned over a computer hard drive Frederiksen had given her on the morning of Evelyn’s disappearance. The equipment contained hundreds of images of sexual assaults involving infants and children.

On Sept. 3, 2005, Patrie told police that Frederiksen approached him outside a bar with a knife and accused him of killing Evelyn.

Later that month, Frederiksen attempted to kill himself with a knife. While being driven to the hospital, Frederiksen said if he could take it back he would, he would be dead and Evelyn would be alive, according to court records.

After Frederiksen’s arrest on child porn charges in the spring of 2006, a fellow inmate in the Linn County Jail overheard him say “I’m sorry, Evelyn.” He told the inmate that Evelyn had told her stepmother she had been sexually abused. He also told the inmate about confronting Patrie, telling the inmate he asked Patrie why he stabbed the girl in the neck.

“The nature of the injuries to Evelyn Miller had not been released to the general public by law enforcement,” according to court records.

In February 2007, Frederiksen told police Patrie took Evelyn at knife point and never brought her back. He claimed he then pretended to sleep until Noel Miller turned home. He later recanted this story, court records state.

A month later, Frederiksen told police he stayed up the entire night of the disappearance watching porn on his computer about 15 feet from Evelyn.

In the fall of 2007, he continued to talk to fellow inmates about the case, telling one that he had been abusing the girl and that he would get life in prison if he told authorities what he really knew. He told another Evelyn was found clothed, a detail police never released.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments