Details for Machinist Diesel Engine – Locomotive
Machinist Diesel Engine – Locomotive WATERLOO IOWA
This position is responsible for servicing and maintaining diesel locomotives in accordance with federal and company regulations. This includes diagnosis of mechanical problems on the diesel engine, air compressor; trucks and running gear and making appropriate repairs; testing, inspecting and properly repairing the mechanical and air components of locomotive systems, equipment and machinery.
Essential duties include:
- Inspect and repair locomotive components for compliance with, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulations and company operating standards.
- Oversee and provide locomotive maintenance, including repairs, replacing, and adjusting parts and components; assembling as related to the diesel engine, air compressor, radiator, trucks and carbody.
- Repair running gears such as wheels, springs, hangers, brake rigging and traction motors.
- Test and repair brake systems, safety appliances, couplers, draft systems, air compressors, safety valves, lube oil pump, filter systems, fuel systems, radiators and shutters.
- Install, disassemble, assemble, repair or replace locomotive diesel engine components.
- Service locomotives, add fuel and other necessary supplies. Perform daily inspections, scheduled and preventative maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Diagnose locomotive component malfunctions as related to the diesel engine, air compressor and other components.
- Complete inspection, work, and maintenance reports.
- Move and switch together locomotives[WM2] and locomotive consists within mechanical department limits.
Applicant must be able to work on and around heavy and moving machinery. This position requires you to:
- bend, walk, stand and sit for extended periods,
- perform heavy work, lifting/carrying of up to 50 pounds,
- climb, balance, stoop, squat, kneel and perform overhead work,
- visually distinguish among red, blue, green and yellow colors,
- hear, and with training, distinguish auditory signals,
- use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling,
- perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb ladders, on/off equipment and work from various heights including making repairs on top of a locomotive
Responsible for performing duties and working hours as scheduled, including overtime, holidays, nights, weekends and travel as necessary.
The location of work performed (frequently out-of-doors) and the tools and material used in the surrounding work-place, expose the incumbent to the following conditions on a regular basis: weather, heat (from locomotives), water (from snow, ice and locomotive cleaning operations), oil, grease, and battery acid, noise (from machinery) and fumes. The job requires the individual to follow standard safety procedures, be alert, and take necessary precautions (e.g., wearing/using protective clothes and equipment) to avoid possible injuries. Respond to safety concerns and take appropriate action.
High school graduate or equivalent required. Must have a valid driver’s license with no more than 3 violations in the last 3 years and no major violations. Experience as a qualified railroad machinist preferred. Must possess a mechanical aptitude. Must attend and understand company training as assigned and must be willing to become certified as a licensed locomotive servicing engineer.
For more information on The Iowa Northern or to complete an application
online please visit http://www.iowanorthern.com.
Interested applicants can also submit an application to by fax to 319-232-1996, or mail to: Human Resources, Iowa Northern
Railway Company, 201 Tower Park Drive, Suite 300, Waterloo, IA 50701.
Competitive salary and benefits package included. E/O/E