- Iowa State football offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Tom Manning has accepted a job as an assistant coach with the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts, an Iowa State spokesperson confirmed to the Cedar Rapids Gazette on Saturday.
Manning spent two seasons at Iowa State, transforming Iowa State’s offense into one of the best in school history. The Cyclones scored 40 points five times last season, which tied the school record.
The Cyclones passed for 3,548 yards, and running back David Montgomery also racked up 1,146 yards on the on the ground. Manning’s offensive line only allowed 19 sacks in 13 games, which was the second best in the Big 12.
- Waterloo East sophomore Abbie Williams and coach Mike Weber were honored by the Mississippi Valley Conference Friday.
Williams was named Athlete of the Year for the Mississippi Division and Weber was selected as Coach of the Year.
Williams averaged 205.8 per game and was runnerup at the Class 2A state tournament as East went 9-2 during the season and finished fourth at state.
- The Cedar Valley CourtKings, two-time defending champions of the Midwest Basketball League, will kick off the 2018 season on April 8 at the Cedar Valley SportsPlex against the T.C. Elite.
The MBL playoffs are scheduled for July 27-29 at St. John's University in St. Cloud, Minn.
The CourtKings' full schedule and game times can be found at cvcourtkings.com
- The Big 12 Conference announced Thursday its Academic All-Big 12 honorees. Iowa State's redshirt junior Nick Weiler-Babb, an event management major, was a first-team selection.
Weiler-Babb is averaging 11.3 points this season, while churning out 6.8 assists a game. He has also been honored as the Big 12 Player of the Week earlier this season and has accounted for seven double-double performances.
- The Waterloo Bucks are looking for families or individuals who are interested in housing a college-aged baseball player during the upcoming Northwoods League season.
Individuals interested may apply by contacting general manager Dan Corbin at (319) 232-0500, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waterloo West sophomore Lauren Conrey was incorrectly identified as playing for Waterloo East in a story Thursday on the metro all-Mississippi Valley Conference selections. The Courier regrets the error.
- Northern Iowa's 10th Annual Rally in the Valley will take place Saturday, April 14, in the McLeod Center.
Cocktails, hors d'oeuvres and the silent action will begin at 5 p.m. Dinner will begin at 7 p.m. with entertainment and live auction to follow.
This year's featured guest will be UNI Hall of Fame member and national champion pole vaulter Jacob Pauli.
Online registration is available at http://unipanthers.com/rallyinthevalley2018.
Swimming and diving
- Northern Iowa had 11 members of its women's swimming and diving team named to the Missouri Valley Conference Scholar-Athlete team.
Molly Lembezeder, Olivia Knowles, Hannah Brummel, Lauren Kacmarynski, Shayla Warrick, Crystal Florman, Alyssa Deuso, Abby Meyer, Katie Taylor, Kylie Engstrom and Jordan McCullough made the honor squad for UNI.
- Numerous Northeast Iowa anglers and hunters who registered trophy catches or trophy bucks with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources have been invited to receive awards during the annual Eastern Iowa Sportshow in the UNI-Dome March 9-11.
Those earning the "Big Fish Angler" award receive a print by artist Greg Bordignon while "Trophy Buck" recipients will also receive a signed and serialized print by Bordignon.