WATERLOO — Break out the brooms.

The Waterloo Black Hawks capped an impressive weekend sweep of Tri-City, scoring three power-play goals en route to a 4-2 victory over the Storm Saturday at Young Arena in United States Hockey League action.

One night after toppling the Western Conference leaders, 4-1, Waterloo never trailed and used two third-period goals to break a 2-2 tie and gain the victory.

“Everyone came to play up and down the lineup,” forward Ben Copeland said. “It was just everyone buying it. A good weekend. It’s not over, though. We got another good one Tuesday.”

The score was tied after two periods at 2-2 when Waterloo scored on the power-play for the second time in the game. Jackson Cates whipped a pass to Copeland behind the Storm and Copeland’s pass across the goal mouth set up Jack Drury for a one-timer and the Black Hawks led 3-2 just 47 seconds into the third.

Sam Huff made it 4-2 with another power-play goal with 6:17 to go, and Jared Moe turned aside 19 third-period shots to preserve the victory.

“They certainly did come after us in the third and as expected,” Black Hawks head coach P.K. O’Handley said. “It was hard fought. Our special teams have been really good lately and we got rewarded for it tonight.”

Waterloo opened the scoring when Garrett Wait scored his 13th on assists from Copeland and Cates with 11:43 left in the second and the Black Hawks with a man advantage.

Tri-City tied it 3:18 later with its own power-play goal.

The Black Hawks retook the lead when Cates registered his 16th goal when he redirected a Copeland shot with 6:19 to go, but Tri-City tied it with a 4-on-3 power play goal with just 4:08 left to the second intermission.

“It feels good,” O’Handley said. “I thought our guys competed hard. That is a good team we beat twice and it took every bit of effort and energy we had. It certainly was a positive week for sure.”

Waterloo hosts Chicago Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.

Waterloo 4, Tri-City 2


Tri-City 0 2 0 — 2

Waterloo 0 2 2 — 4

FIRST PERIOD — No scoring. Penalties — Hank Sorensen, Wat (holding), 3:51, Mason Palmer, Wat (roughing), 10:26, Adam Goodsir, TC (hooking), 11:03, Bryan Yoon, TC (slashing), 15:48, Bobby Trivigno, Wat (slashing), 15:48.

SECOND PERIOD — 1. Waterloo, Garrett Wait (Ben Copeland, Jackson Cates), 8:17, pp, 2. Tri-City, Blais Richartz (Keaton Pehrson, Chase McLane), 11:35, pp, 2. Waterloo, Cates (Copeland, Sorensen), 13:41, 4. Tri-City, Pehrson (Richartz, Blake Evenson), 15:52, pp. Penalties — Solag Bakich, Wat (slashing), :17, Brian Hawkinson, TC (five-minute major kneeing. game misconduct), 3:09, Trivigno, Wat (slashing), 5:10, Connor McMenamin, TC (holding), 7:46, Cates, Wat (slashing), 10:01, Palmer, Wat (unsportsmanlike conduct), 13:41, Filip Forsmark, TC (roughing), 13:41, Wait, Wat (hooking), 15:36, McLane, TC (cross checking), 19:16.

THIRD PERIOD — 5. Waterloo, Jack Drury (Copeland, Cates), :47, pp, 6. Waterloo, Sam Huff (Trivigno, Hunter Lellig), 13:43, pp. Penalties — Sorensen, Wat (fighting, game misconduct) , 3:54, McLane, TC (fighting, game misconduct), 3:54, McMenamin, TC (checking from behind, game misconduct), 11:59, Palmer, Wat (holding), 14:09, Niko-Esposito-Selivanov, Wat (slashing), 17:09, Drury, Wat (hooking), 17:38.


Tri-CIty 10 7 19 — 36

Waterloo 11 15 5 —31

Goalies — Tri-City, Fillip Larsson (27 saves). Waterloo, Jared Moe (34 saves). Referee — Jake Rekucki. Linesmen — Jake Jackson, Rocco Stachowiak.