- Former Cedar Falls High basketball player B.J. McGinn has resigned as Des Moines Area Community College men's basketball coach to become the school's fulltime director of athletics.
McGinn has been serving in both roles since 2016. He spent nine seasons as head basketball coach, compiling a 191-97 record with two conference championships, two Region 11 championships and runs to the Elite 8 and Final 4 at the national tournament. He was named NJCAA District 8 coach of the year in 2014 and 2015.
Former assistant coach John Bowler will take over as men's basketball head coach.
- Waterloo West prep Zia Collett has signed a letter of intent to play college basketball at Mount Mercy College in Cedar Rapids.
Collett played four years of varsity basketball for the Wahawks and earned honorable mention All-Metro recognition last season after averaging 6.7 points per game and leading West in rebounding at 5.5 per game.
- Former Cedar Falls High standout Kelsey Aikey, now a sophomore at Western Kentucky, was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week Monday.
Aikey pitched a 1-0 shutout Sunday against Florida International to help the Hilltoppers clinch a berth in the C-USA Tournament. For the week, she worked 11 2/3 innings with a 1.24 earned-run average and 10 strikeouts.
Track and field
- Former University of Northern Iowa stars Rachel Jansen and Paige Knodle are among those named to the Missouri Valley Conference's 25th anniversary women's track and field team.
Jansen was a four-time All-American, a six-time MVC champion and an eight-time all-MVC performer in the throwing events. She was selected as the Most Valuable Athlete at the 2017 MVC Outdoor meet and Most Outstanding Field Athlete.
Knodle set the league's all-time record in the heptathlon, was a three-time MVC champion, a two-time MVC Most Outstanding Field Athlete, a two-time Most Valuable Athlete and a seven-time all-MVC honoree.
- A pair of University of Northern Iowa athletes earned Missouri Valley Conference honors Tuesday.
Sarah Pate was named Field Athlete of the Week after winning the hammer throw with a mark of 205 feet at the Wisconsin Twilight meet. Pate leads the MVC and ranks 14th in the NCAA West Region in the event.
Brette Correy was named Track Athlete of the Week after winning the 800 in 2:06.65, also tops in the MVC and 25th in the West Region.
- The Iowa High School co-ed state track and field championships are offering mobile ticket sales for the May 17-19 meet in Des Moines through GoFan digital ticketing.
Tickets for each session are $10 plus a $1.50 handling fee. They are delivered directly to the purchaser's mobile device and validated at designated entrances at Drake Stadium.
Tickets can also be purchased at Drake Stadium ticket windows for $10.
For more information, call (1-678-679-7676).