AMES --- Iowa State knew exactly what it was going to get from Iowa.

The Cyclones, however, didn't have enough answers on defense or offensive firepower to stop the Hawkeyes.

Jake Rudock threw a pair of touchdown passes and rushed for another as Iowa (2-1) dominated Iowa State, 27-21, Saturday in the annual Cy-Hawk game at Jack Trice Stadium.

Controlling the ball behind its trademark power-rushing game, Iowa held the ball for more than 38 minutes as it led 13-0 at halftime and 27-7 before the Cyclones (0-2) scored twice late to make it interesting.

"We made way too many mistakes to win a football game like this," Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads said. "And the University of Iowa did an excellent job of keeping the ball away from us, playing very sound football and earning the victory."

The Iowa win snapped a two-game Iowa State win streak in the series and marked the first time the Cyclones have started a season 0-2 under Rhoads.

"It feels great," said Rudock, who became the first Iowa quarterback in the last 10 years to earn a win in his first road start at Jack Trice. "Anytime you go on the road and get the win that's the biggest thing. That's what we are always trying to do, and getting the 'W' was big."

The Hawkeyes wanted to finish the Cyclones off sooner and not give them a chance at the end, but knew that was easier said then done.

"We're thrilled to get the victory," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. "We knew it would be a battle. It's a battle every time we come to Ames and they don't give away victories here. We had to earn it."

Iowa won it in the trenches and behind Mark Weisman.

Weisman carried the ball 35 times for 145 yards and Iowa rushed it 60 times for 218 yards, answering every ISU jab with one of its own.

"Our goal is to come out and play as physical as possible," Weisman said.

"Mark has been a workhorse for us," Ferentz added. "He ran hard for us tonight and did a lot of good things. I can't say anything bad about him and his effort out there."

Iowa State managed just 63 first-half yards, including just 10 rushing yards on 11 carries, as Iowa built its halftime lead, getting a pair of Mike Meyer field goals and a 5-yard touchdown pass from Rudock to Kevonte Martin-Manley.

Before sending his team into the lockerroom for halftime, Rhoads held a quick team meeting on the field.

"Because of the timing of people getting to our lockerroom and starting to speak and hurting our football team's opportunity in the second half before I did," Rhoads said of his on-field meeting.

Despite being completely dominated over the opening 30 minutes, the Cyclones found themselves back in the game when Quenton Bundrage caught the first of his three second-half touchdown passes with 5 minutes, 28 seconds left in the third quarter.

On a third-and-4 play from the ISU 33, Bundrage ran a short curl in the left flat. Sam Richardson hit him with a quick strike and Bundrage spun out of a B.J. Lowery tackle attempt and outraced several Hawkeyes to paydirt.

"Just trying to make plays when I had the opportunity," said Bundrage, who finished with seven catches for 146 yards and three scores. "It just so happened the ball came to me and I made the play."

Brundage's big play brought a capacity crowd back into the game, but Iowa quickly quieted the 56,800 with an decisive answer.

Rudock hit Martin-Manley with an 18-yard strike to the ISU 28, and on a third-and-8 play from the 26, the Cyclones blitzed eight. Jacob Hillyer, running a deep curl, snared a high pass and broke a Jansen Watson tackle to make it 20-7 just 4:40 after ISU scored.

Rhoads talked of several dark spots in the game for the Cyclones and called that one the darkest.

"We were poor on kick coverage, had a mental mistake on the first third down and a physical miscue on the touchdown," Rhoads said.

The Cyclones went three-and-out on their next series, and the Hawkeyes responded with a 15-play, 73-yard drive, including 14 running plays that chewed up 7:38, ending in a Rudock 1-yard plunge to make it 27-7 with 7:05 left.

"In case you didn't recognize it, that was two tight ends and old fashion football out there," Rhoads said of the 15-play drive.

Despite that, Iowa State still had life.

A 32-yard pass to Tad Ecby got the Cyclones to the Hawkeye 26, and one-play later Richardson found Bundrage on a fly pattern for a 26-yard score with 4:27 to go.

ISU recovered an ensuing onside kick, but Lowery picked off Richardson with a spectacular one-handed grab.

The Cyclones forced a quick three-and-out, took just 1:20 off the clock as Richardson hit Bundrage from 17 yards out to cap a 9-play, 59-yard drive and make it 27-21 with 2:26 to go.

Iowa recovered an onside kick after Bundrage's third touchdown and ran off 2:18 off the clock before giving the Cyclones the ball back on the ISU 13.

The Cyclones tried a multiple lateral play that was eventually stopped 80 yards short and the Hawkeyes stormed across the field to reclaim the Cy-Hawk Trophy.

"I was pleased with how our football team played to the end," Rhoads said. "We played to the final play and had an opportunity to pull out a miracle victory and obviously we came up short."

Iowa hosts Western Michigan next Saturday, while Iowa State is off until Sept. 26 when it travels to Tulsa.

Sports reporter for The Courier

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.