Call the Courier logo

Q: How long have Beth Malicki and Dave Franzman been employed at KCRG?

A: Beth started at KCRG in March 2005 (12 years, 7 months); Dave started at KCRG in September 1978 (39 years, 1 month).

Q: Can you print background information on Taylor Bailey and Kristin Rogers of KWWL?

A: Bailey grew up in Hammonton, N.J. — “the blueberry capital of the world” — and in 2016 graduated from Rowan University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism. She has interned at a TV station in Philadelphia and moved to Waterloo four days after graduation. Rogers grew up in Cedar Rapids and graduated from the University of Nebraska-Omaha with majors in broadcasting and speech.

Q: What are the comparative salaries of Steve Bernard and Jim Krieg, assistant general manager and general manager of Cedar Falls Utilities?

A: According to Krieg, Steve Bernard’s annual salary is $181,000; Krieg’s annual salary is $257,855. Bernard is scheduled to become general manager Jan. 1 when Krieg retires.

Q: If a cat is caught in a trap and brought to the Cedar Bend Humane Society, what is the fate of that cat?

A: It depends on whether the cat is friendly or feral and also on where the cat was trapped. Tame cats are held for a pre-determined stray period in case an owner surfaces. Unclaimed cats are evaluated for adoption if not claimed. Trapped feral cats brought in from Cedar Falls and Waterloo are candidates for a trap-neuter-release program. If someone is feeding the cat, CBHS will alter and vaccinate it and release it back to the location where it was trapped. If a resident requests the cat not be returned, alternatives like a barn home are sought. If there are no barn home applicants, or if the cat is sick or injured, the only other alternative or option is to humanely euthanize the cat. CBHS staff said they have several programs in place to reduce euthanizing feral trapped cats. Some 436 feral and stray cats were placed in barn homes or released through the trap-neuter-release program since the program started in the summer of 2016. Its success depends on community support through donations and the willingness of owners to allow their release back into neighborhoods or barns.

Q: Regarding the Sunday editorial endorsing police cameras: The police said they will be placing them in high crime areas. Who decides where the high crime areas are? Will there be any public input?

A: The Waterloo Police Department already has several cameras they install in areas where they believe they would be effective in solving crimes. This is determined by the police department leadership. Anybody, obviously, can contact the police department or their elected city officials to voice concerns about camera locations.

Q: Where is Liberty Park located in Waterloo?

A: It’s along West Ninth Street between Mitchell and Byron avenues.

Questions are taken on a special Courier phone line at 234-3566. Questions are answered by Courier staff and staff at the Waterloo Public Library.


Load comments