WATERLOO – A Waterloo family escaped after a fire broke out in their home Saturday night.

Resident Brittany Radford told officials she and her three children went into the kitchen for a snack. When they returned to the living area, flames and smoke were already present, originating from a tipped-over space heater, Radford told firefighters.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames but not before the fire did heavy damage to the one-story rented home, said Battalion Chief Michael Moore with Waterloo Fire Rescue.

“It vented out a back window and caught the back of the house on fire and spread to the lower roof,” Moore said. “There was a lot of heat inside. There were two rooms that were going.”

Two adults and four children lived at the house, and the American Red Cross was called to assist with emergency shelter.

Radford went back in to successfully rescue a dog that was in a kennel, according to firefighters.

No one was injured in the fire, which caused $25,000 damage to the home and $15,000 damage to its contents, according to reports.

Radford rents the residence with Ethan Weber, and it is owned by Scott Hambly, according to reports.

0
16
3
4
3

Police and Courts Reporter

Cops and courts reporter for the Courier

Load comments