123117kg-house-fire-2

A house in the 100 block of Madison Street caught fire late Saturday.

WATERLOO — A Waterloo man died in a house fire late Saturday.

Robert Smiley, 63, of 126 Madison St., lived in the house alone.

Nine Waterloo Fire Rescue units with 19 firefighters reported to the house after a neighbor called in the fire at 11:17 p.m. Saturday. Two of those were Waterloo Fire Rescue paramedic units.

+1 
Window

Waterloo fire crews put out a fire in the 100 block of Madison Street early Sunday.

“We took measures to handle the temperature extremes. We did get to the scene in just under four minutes, so crews worked swiftly. They got there without delay,” said Waterloo Fire Battalion Chief Ben Petersen.

Crews were set back a short time when they were unable to connect to the hydrant nearest the house. Petersen said frigid temperatures likely were the cause. Crews then were able to hook up to a hydrant down the street.

The Waterloo Fire Marshal was called to assist in the investigation, which is ongoing.

3
0
0
27
5

Staff Reporter

Staff Writer at the Courier

Load comments