WATERLOO, Iowa --- A drug store clerk found a smoking hot package of beef jerky on the shelves Tuesday.
In fact, two bags of jerky were on fire at Walgreen’s, 1850 Logan Ave.
Luckily, the fire didn’t spread, and there was no damage to the store, according to Waterloo police.
The dried meat fire was discovered at about 1:30 p.m., and the employee extinguished the flames by blowing on it, the report states.
Investigators reviewed the shop’s surveillance tape and found that a teenager had entered the store and lit the bags with a cigarette lighter before leaving.
Officers identified the teen with the help of the security camera footage and searched his home Wednesday, said Capt. Tim Pillack with the Waterloo Police Department.
Police took Juanrez Darrold Jefferson, 15, of 714 Hope Ave., into custody for first-degree arson. Pillack said the teen took a lighter from the store to set the fire.