UPDATE: Dog awakens residents to fire

2013-04-30T13:00:00Z 2013-05-01T04:48:27Z UPDATE: Dog awakens residents to fireBy JEFF REINITZ, jeff.reinitz@wcfcourier.com Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier

WATERLOO, Iowa --- A dog named Baby is being credited with saving a family from a house fire this morning

And firefighters saved the dog.

Krista Kipper said she was asleep in the upper apartment at 701-703 Milwaukee Ave. around 5 a.m. when she woke to Baby, her 1-year-old lab-pitbull mix, running around.

“She was kind of running around, and I’m not a heavy sleeper, so whenever she runs around, I think that she wants to go outside or something. I woke up from her running around and I couldn’t breath, I couldn’t see nothing,” Kipper said.

The room was filled with thick smoke, and Kipper woke her rooommate, Brian Sbiral.

“When I went out to the living room, there was fire on the back wall,” Sbiral said.

Kipper headed to the downstairs apartment where her mother lives with her two children, ages 10 and 7.

“I ran downstairs to tell everyone to get out and then I went back upstairs because I thought (Brian)was still in the house freaking out,” Kipper said.

Sbiral had made it out on his own, and firefighters found Baby inside the apartment and brought her out. As of press time, a family cat was unaccounted for.

“We got the dog out, the dog is fine, said Battalion Chief Marty Freshwater of Waterloo Fire Rescue

He said the duplex didn’t have working smoke alarms.

The fire appears to have started in the upstairs living room. Firefighters kept the flames from spreading to other parts of the house, but the rest of the top level took heavy smoke damage, and the downstairs had smoke and water damage, he said.

The Hawkeye Chapter of the American Red Cross has been contacted to provide emergency shelter for the family.

The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.

Copyright 2015 Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(5) Comments

  1. helloall
    Report Abuse
    helloall - May 02, 2013 10:56 am
    thank you!
  2. Raccoon1
    Report Abuse
    Raccoon1 - May 01, 2013 4:18 pm
    Landlord are supposed to supply working smoke detectors, but I think the tenants are responsible for making sure they keep good batteries in them.
  3. HKFreinHarman
    Report Abuse
    HKFreinHarman - May 01, 2013 8:37 am
    A pit bull mix saves a family... 2 comments on the story. A dog bites someone... 700 comments. Congratulations people, you feed right into the media hype by being more interested in the negative than the positive. Way to go Baby! You are a hero!
  4. Michelle R
    Report Abuse
    Michelle R - April 30, 2013 3:03 pm
    It's great to see a positive story about pit bulls for a change, glad the family made it out OK,dog too!
  5. helloall
    Report Abuse
    helloall - April 30, 2013 8:21 am
    as a rental, isn't the landlord supposed to make sure all smoke detectors work? just asking not implying?
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick