UPDATE: Arrest made in Waterloo child support office threat

2012-03-24T13:15:00Z 2012-03-24T13:30:04Z UPDATE: Arrest made in Waterloo child support office threatBy Courier Staff Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier
March 24, 2012 1:15 pm  •

WATERLOO, Iowa --- An individual was arrested Friday in connection with threats made Thursday to the state Child Support Recovery Office of the Iowa Department of Human Services in Waterloo.

Deputies have arrested Kevin Jesse Harp, 49, of Mount Auburn, on a warrant naming a charge of first-degree harassment.

He is currently being held in the Black Hawk County Jail on $50,000 bond.

Deputies also had obtained and executed a search warrant to check his residence for weapons and also computer equipment.

The Child Support Recovery Office, in the Black's Building at 501 Sycamore St. was evacuated and closed Thursday after the office received a letter in which a subject threatened to shoot staff members at the office because he was upset that his drivers license was going to be suspended for non-payment of child support.

The offices was reopened at 1 p.m. Friday, Iowa Department of Human Services spokesman Roger Munns, said, pronouncing the danger had passed as Harp was being booked into jail.

Black Hawk and Benton County sheriffs deputies arrested Harp at his residence.

Previous story:

WATERLOO, Iowa — Officials evacuated the state’s Department of Human Services Child Support Child Support Recovery Unit office in Waterloo on Thursday after workers received threats, authorities said.

Waterloo police said they are keeping extra watch on the office, in the Black’s Building at 501 Sycamore St. The Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the case.

Sheriff’s Capt. Rick Abben said employees received a letter that contained threats to hurt people. The letter, which was sent from Benton County, arrived Thursday.

A message on the office’s answering machine apologized for the closure and directed callers to the Decorah office.

1. out-for-justice
    out-for-justice - October 09, 2013 10:00 am
    and I wouldn't let me find out you are using your husbands state code to hack my computer without authorization! since I'm sure YOU! used his account to leave the other comment on here to! I mean just me and road ranger ? how am I not supposed to know it's you?
  2. out-for-justice
    out-for-justice - September 28, 2013 2:16 pm
    yeah there are some jobs! maybe you women should go out and get one and stop crucifying your exes for your decision to have a child and take responsibility for YOUR actions! funny thing is I'm betting you guys are some of the exact people that voted in the laws that allow discrimination against people so they can't find work! like taking some ones license because they owe back child support there by eliminating them from the chance of getting a job should one come up! and yes we ALL know if you don't have a license you don't have a job!!!!!
  3. out-for-justice
    out-for-justice - September 26, 2013 8:00 pm
    and as far as mothers getting payments? yes there are those who actually do need the money and use it for the child/children! but those of us grounded in reality know without a question the there are mothers that simply try to drain a man to get back at him for ever falling in love with her f5rom the beginning and use the money to go to bars and buy drugs, my ex is not one of those but they are there, point being that all cases are different and should be treated as such!
  4. out-for-justice
    out-for-justice - September 26, 2013 7:53 pm
    RoadRangewr gfys! I'm more of a man then you will ever be! I do all I can for my kid learn what your talking about before opening your mouth! and as usual the media has the information wrong! produce the letter that said I was going to shoot ANYONE!!!! post it publicly on the news channel 7 or any other?????? I defy you! the purpose of the unit is a good one but when you repeatedly ruin a persons life because they can't find work you are not serving a purpose you are simply torturing and persecuting people to quote a word! terrorizing people!
  5. singleiowamom
    singleiowamom - February 13, 2013 4:49 pm
    I am a single mother and I have had to rely on Iowa Child Support Recovery to collect payments on my child's behalf for several years. To date, her (my daughter) non-present father owes her over $80,000. That's right. 80 grand. This agency is the most useless government service ever created. It's robbing the tax payers and allowing children of single parents homes live in poverty. They do nothing except make phone calls, file their nails and gossip around the water cooler. This non-custodial father not only works, but he owns his own very successful, very lucrative business. So why is it they can't get the court ordered payments from him. He has a license to drive, business license and even a CDL. Never has he been to jail for non payment. In fact, he's never been punished at all. I can understand why this Kevin Harp dude is angry over his upcoming suspension, However, I don't condone his actions. He could avoid losing his license with appropriate actions like paying his support or making payment arrangements if he was having financial difficulties. Now he's got legal issues too. I wish Iowa Child Support would work on my case and go after my daughters dad. He's got the money to take. Shame shame shame on ICSR. They suck in my opinion.
  6. just me
    just me - March 24, 2012 9:42 am
    It isn't the workers doing it to you. You did it to yourself. Pay your bills. Own up to your own problems and stop blaming everybody else. These people are doing their jobs according the laws. You should try abiding by the law and getting a job.
    People need to stop threatening, bullying, shooting and stabbing others just because they don't get their way. Grow up and take responsibility for your actions.
    So many people think things are owed to them - when did this start. If you want something, get a job and earn the money for it and stop expecting hand outs.
    Before everybody jumps on the 'no jobs' - there are jobs, you might have to lower your self image of yourself and start back at the bottom - but there are jobs.
  7. RoadRanger
    RoadRanger - March 23, 2012 4:25 pm
    Be a man and pay for your kids!