Subscribe for 33¢ / day
Newton's Cafe

Newton’s Cafe, 128 E. Fourth St.

WATERLOO -- A kitchen oven caught fire at a downtown restaurant, evacuating it at least for the day.

Employees called Waterloo Fire Rescue around 10:30 a.m. Friday, April 13, for an oven fire at Newton's Paradise Cafe, 128 East Fourth St.

Crews found the fire started in an overheated kitchen oven, which also caught materials on fire around that oven, said battalion chief Mike Moore.

Employees and customers evacuated, the restaurant would likely not be able to reopen Friday due to smoke and the cleaning that needs to be done in the kitchen, Moore said. He noted once it's cleaned, the oven should be able to be reused.

1
1
3
1
1

Multimedia Reporter

Multimedia Reporter at The Courier

Load comments