Natasha Chughtai no longer with KWWL

2014-01-08T09:15:00Z 2014-05-30T09:07:09Z Natasha Chughtai no longer with KWWL Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier
January 08, 2014 9:15 am

WATERLOO | KWWL morning co-anchor Natasha Chughtai and the station have parted ways and a search is on for a new morning anchor on "Today in Iowa."

Chughtai has been with KWWL since October 2011.

A reason for her departure was not stated. She was on the air Tuesday morning. KWWL officials confirmed Wednesday she is no longer with the station. Co-anchor Jason Carter did the anchoring duties alone Wednesday morning.

Chughtai came to the station after working as a television reporter in Anchorage, Alaska, and Eugene, Ore.

Dan Schillinger, KWWL news director, said a search is underway for a new co-anchor.

"There is no timetable, but we hope to have someone hired as quickly as possible," he said.

1. bigdis
    bigdis - January 24, 2014 9:11 pm
    a lot of people have been in front of the cameras at KWWL? The truth behind this latest "parting of ways" is not public information so Natasha is just another name on the list of people that used to work there. Good Luck, the morning show is sure suffering without you!
  2. JD Kinnick
    JD Kinnick - January 23, 2014 9:26 pm
    KWWL has gone downhill since they started hiring so many "personalities" that aren't from the Cedar Valley.
  3. lovecf
    lovecf - January 20, 2014 7:52 pm
    Doesn't surprise me! no respect for KWWL or Courier...Kwwl broadcast more about CR and Dubuque than Waterloo..Courier..worthless paper anymore...less content but wants more money for their paper.
  4. lootown2
    lootown2 - January 20, 2014 5:53 pm
    Yep Nikki is bad had to change the channel
  5. iagalalways
    iagalalways - January 17, 2014 10:42 am
    So they got rid of the one that was good at her job and left nikki...really?
  6. OutOfTowner
    OutOfTowner - January 16, 2014 8:39 pm
    To this, REOJOE would surely reply "......wow....."
  7. Mrs B
    Mrs B - January 16, 2014 6:29 pm
    I Can't believe they let her go. She was a spot of sunshine in the morning. Way to go KWWL you get rid of the good ones. Is Amanda next? I forgot that " you've got us covered." Right !
    Natasha will be missed!
  8. reojoe
    reojoe - January 13, 2014 11:41 am
    To that, Jeff would surely reply, "skippedy, dippedy!"
  9. IowaNative22
    IowaNative22 - January 11, 2014 5:22 pm
    Didnt much care for her so not too broken up she got booted. I do miss Jeff. I know him personally and know he was unhappy for many years and treated badly. He should have been Head Meteorologist, NOT "Schnack".
  10. helloall
    helloall - January 10, 2014 3:37 pm
    She did go.. she had to and the Cedar Valley's eyes and ears are all better for it.
  11. mid716
    mid716 - January 10, 2014 3:37 pm
    Okay because she was holding another job. What about the other dozen that have left in recent years. Don't kid yourself; it is very obvious there is a problem at that station! Ratings will suffer as we switch to a station with more consistency.
  12. a reader 2
    a reader 2 - January 10, 2014 12:24 pm
    There is nothing wrong with holding 2 jobs EXCEPT when it is a clear and obvious breach of contract. If she had worked another job that didn't entail being an on-air TV personality, then it wouldn't be a problem. I also admire KWWL's integrity by not releasing the details of why she was let go, especially when so many are ready to attack upper management without knowing the truth of what really happened. It's up to Natasha to clear the air about why she is gone.
  13. jrh
    jrh - January 10, 2014 11:31 am
    truth; I see nothing wrong with holding two jobs. Probably had to . Natasha; you go girl....
  14. ahawkeyeguy
    ahawkeyeguy - January 10, 2014 10:53 am
    This is absolutely correct. According to an acquaintance of mine - Natasha chose to endorse a product Nationally - it is against regulations for a News personality to endorse any product locally. Since the product was NATIONALLY endorsed it overlapped with her locality.

My understanding - this is one of the most COMMONLY known rules in the "biz" and she was probably trying to get out of her contract.
  15. Truth
    Truth - January 10, 2014 9:46 am
    You are all great at making assumptions yet you probably don't have the time to do a little research. If you did, you would discover that Natasha was working on a home shopping network behind channel 7's back. I have family who live in Minnesota and they saw her. She and I have mutual friends and they confirmed it. So if you have an unethical employee, it is best to part ways. I admire channel 7 for not releasing the details.
  16. rajung
    rajung - January 09, 2014 8:02 pm
    This doesn't surprise me in the least,for what ever reason she left.
    KWWL has been having a hard time retaining employees for many years for one reason or another.
    As far as I can remember since around "83"
    I am related to, and have friends that have worked there only to watch them leave under pressure or get walking papers.
    Its just not the current upper management , its higher than that, and has been for a long time.
    Seems to be one of those places that employees really enjoyed working at and having fun doing it,and turning into a place where you hated to go to due to not knowing who you could trust.
  17. newsnow
    newsnow - January 09, 2014 6:43 pm
    I agree with jrh, I am so tired of hearing about Dubuque and the same news at 6- 12- 6. There is "NEW" news out there. And the only time I really get anything out of KWWL is from Ron for news ,Denise Peltzer for weather and for Mark Woodley for sports. He covers All sportsband teams (not just the Hawkeyes). Sorry Jeff Kennedy, Brady Smith and Jennifer left. I have been watching Cedar Rapids for along time, now I won't have to channel surf anymore. Geant Price would be very disappointed to see how KWWL has ran into the ground after he built it up to distinctive news station if he were still alive. Glad I'm not a stockholder.
  18. GloriaJL
    GloriaJL - January 09, 2014 4:16 pm
    Agree with jrh---we watch Cedar Rapids and then will switch back when they give the weather. They give very little local news--seems like they are more worried about picking up Dubuque, CR or Iowa City listeners. We always get breaking news about Waterloo faster on the CR stations. I always figured that KWWL didn't pay adequate salaries to retain good people.
  19. CitizenKane
    CitizenKane - January 09, 2014 3:04 pm
    Best wishes to you Natasha! You were great and will be missed!
  20. jrh
    jrh - January 09, 2014 12:54 pm
    In a short time I have now seen three good reporters leave kwwl. And to me; all three were very good news-casters. Other than management having problems with employees;their biggest downfall is they don't know how to broadcast local news. Kwwl is a good station to listen to if you want to know what's going on in Dubuque, Cedar Rapids or Iowa City.
  21. b786alo
    b786alo - January 09, 2014 9:34 am
    Apparently the remaining morning host found a memo in his box about ditching his bow ties...thank goodness.
  22. TheRealFrogge
    TheRealFrogge - January 09, 2014 9:33 am
    In the television news industry, there is always going to be high turnover as people try to get to a bigger and bigger market. However, the turnover at KWWL has been more than just people trying to get to a bigger market. Much of their problems stem from the higher ups who have run the station to the ground. I never knew what it was they were trying to accomplish by treating their empolyees so badly but all it has accomplished is pushing good people out who made the station great. I have seen many good people either get fired or leave because they just got tired of the poor treatment.
    I keep hoping that things will turn around for them but I can see that nothing much has changed in the past 12 years.
  23. SilentObserver
    SilentObserver - January 09, 2014 9:21 am
    I thought Natasha did a great job. She displayed a lot of personality, was easy to listen to and had a good rapport with Jason and Eileen. Natasha will definitely be missed. KWWL seems to run off their best, leaving us to suffer through difficult, hard to understand reporters. Best of luck to you, Natasha ... you were a ray of sunshine in the morning.
  24. helloall
    helloall - January 09, 2014 7:48 am
    Couldn't agree more. It seems like the new management is trying to change the culture at KWWL and not for the better. one annoying thing is the comments from Amanda about the weather. aren't you from PA, just as cold in Iowa as there. Victor what about Ron, I would rather watch him then any others on the show. Once he retired KCRG here I come.
  25. nobodyspecial
    nobodyspecial - January 09, 2014 6:15 am
    WOW! Appears like a tough place to retain a job. There is constant turnover at that station. I thought she did a great job. She was pleasant to look at, smiled as she reported the news and didn't stutter. What more does she need to do to be a decent on camera news personality? I think KWWL has internal human resourse issues.
  26. Scott
    Scott - January 08, 2014 11:05 am
    Finally! She was horrible! Now just one left that is unwatchable!
  27. victor672
    victor672 - January 08, 2014 10:04 am
    Not much good about KWWL except for Schnack and Eileen.