Subscribe for 33¢ / day

WATERLOO – A Waterloo man was released on bond Wednesday following a Tuesday afternoon police chase that ended when he crashed into a home.

Authorities said Montavis Terell Keller, 24, of 842 Conger St., drove head-on at oncoming traffic and swerved toward an officer on foot during the pursuit, which hit speeds of 90 mph at one point. After Keller’s Nissan Altima slammed into 2312 Lafayette St., officers found several bags of marijuana near the vehicle and on his person, and they discovered a firearm inside the car.

And Black Hawk County sheriff’s deputies who took Keller to jail suspected he was under the influence of drugs because of his slowed movements and bloodshot eyes, court records state.

Keller was charged with two counts of felony eluding, operating while intoxicated, assault on a peace officer, aggravated assault, possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and violation of the drug tax stamp act. He was also cited for driving on the wrong side of the road, unsafe passing, running stoplights and stop signs and speeding.

During a brief appearance in court Wednesday morning, Keller, who has no prior criminal record, said he doesn’t have a job but makes $2,000 a month through music.

Judge James Coil set bond at $50,000, and Keller was out of jail before noon.

Court records shed new light on the pursuit, which started at about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday when a patrol officer noticed the Altima speeding and weaving in traffic in the area of West Sixth and Water streets. The vehicle didn’t pull over, and the chase involved both Waterloo police and sheriff’s deputies as it headed up Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and went east out of the city before returning to Waterloo on Lafayette Street.

A Waterloo police officer ahead of the chase attempted to place Stop Stick devices in the street to stop the pursuit.

“The defendant steered the Altima around a school bus and then toward the officer before he deployed the Stop Sticks,” an officer wrote in a criminal complaint submitted to the court. “The officer deployed the Stop Sticks and had to run to get out of harm’s way to avoid being hit by the Altima.”

The Atlima ran over the spikes and continued another block before the driver apparently lost control and struck the house, said Capt. David Mohlis with the Waterloo Police Department.

People were inside the house but weren’t injured. The impact knocked the home’s furnace loose, causing a natural gas leak, and a small fire started in the home.

Mohlis said Keller attempted to run from the wreckage but was detained a short distance away. Keller declined field sobriety and urine tests, court records state.

Court records said the bags of marijuana totaled more than 42 grams. Mohlis said Keller had a permit to carry the handgun found in his vehicle.

The car was removed from the house Tuesday night.


Police and Courts Reporter

Cops and courts reporter for the Courier

Load comments