Neighbor’s music leads man to take up air horn

2010-08-01T06:00:00Z Neighbor’s music leads man to take up air hornBy JEFF REINITZ, jeff.reinitz@wcfcourier.com Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier

WATERLOO - A Waterloo man upset by a neighbor's loud music took matters into his own hands.

Carl Herold, 62, said he was tired of constantly calling police to complain about the "hippie tunes" coming from across the street, so Wednesday he got an air horn.

"I just started blasting it," said Herold, a resident of the Chautauqua Park neighborhood, which is across Conger Street from Exchange Park.

Herold's cacophony caused Waterloo police to arrest him for disorderly conduct and seize his air horn.

Herold said he's had a long-standing problem with the music and has filed complaints about the neighbor allegedly building a shed on adjacent city property.

"I don't have to sit in my house and hear his music," Herold said. "We called a number of times, and nothing seems to be done."

He's also upset about residents who park on the sidewalk.

The problems came to a head earlier this week, and Herold bought an air horn that was taken from an old dump truck.

He set up the horn on his deck facing the neighbor's home. He ran a hose to an air compressor to power the horn. Another line led to his living room where he could control the contraption from his couch.

Herold said it took a few minutes for residents to get annoyed and call police.

Officer Stephen Crozier was called to investigate shortly before 1 p.m. His report noted he could hear the horn five blocks before he arrived at Herold's Riverside Drive home. He said it continued to sound every five to 10 seconds.

Crozier noticed the device outside. Herold, still sitting on his couch at the switch, told him to come in.

"I asked him what was going on and the suspect told me he didn't like the neighbor's music across the street and so he was sounding the horn. He then sounded the horn," Crozier wrote in his report on the incident.

"I asked him why he didn't call the police about his neighbor's music and he said the police never do anything. He then sounded the horn," the officer's report continues.

Herold said he was arrested because he didn't quit blowing the horn when the officer told him to stop.

"I just blasted the (expletive deleted). I didn't give a (expletive deleted)," Herold said.

Herold was led away in handcuffs, and police told the neighbor to keep his music down.

1. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 09, 2010 4:37 am
    I believe they later dropped charges against the citizen, who legally placed under arrest, the punk with the twisted sense of humor! This was another example of twisted logic by that local police/prosecutor office!
  2. DaGrump
    DaGrump - August 08, 2010 9:24 pm
    I wonder if I could get an airhorn like that for some motorcycles that drive up and down my street.
  3. Think
    Think - August 08, 2010 4:32 pm
    It was just easier to pick on the old dude. Just a few weeks ago the cops arrested a man that tackled kids ringing his doorbell late at night. You cops really need to think out what you do and some of you are just power hungry. You should have arrested the hippies.
  4. Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat - August 08, 2010 3:46 pm
    I see this article made the "Bizarre News" column. (online version) You are correct IowaHawk1969, in that he was creative- and he got his point across, but with one problem.. He is just as rude and insensitive as the neighbor he was complaining about. Do you think the other people in the neighborhood liked listening to his air-horn?
    I feel pretty safe saying that there were more issues involved here than just loud music.
  5. IowaHawk1969
    IowaHawk1969 - August 08, 2010 11:35 am
    I think this guy was very creative with the air horn. His mistake was not stopping then the police told him to.
  6. UNI Alum
    UNI Alum - August 07, 2010 12:20 pm
    @ Potato Feet:

Yes, some us, even those of us who no longer live in Iowa, do remember. Officer Michael Hoing and Officer Wayne Rice were killed by James Michael "T-Bone" Taylor via gunshot. I will never forget how scared I was during that time. Never Forget the service of our military, police, and fire.
  7. UNI Alum
    UNI Alum - August 07, 2010 12:10 pm
    It's appalling that a homeowner has to be subjected to the behavior and lack of respect by cretins like his neighbors. I've had similar issues, and the police in my neighborhood are phenomenal---they're there in 10 minutes or less, and on a lowly "noise call" no less.

I am glad I moved out of the state---to know that taxpayers in the Cedar Valley receive little support on issues related to their property and homes is absolutely abhorrent.
  8. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 06, 2010 9:59 am
    OLDICEHOUSE - I agree with you, why not? Waterloo is already the A$$hole capital of Iowa!!
  9. oldicehouse
    oldicehouse - August 05, 2010 7:55 pm
    If all the neighbors in these problem areas get airhorns, the cops won't know who's airhorn it was. Think about it,it would be a ball. WCF Headlines: " Airhorns Takeback Neighborhood." Maybe they could even learn a song. It may sound stupid, but it might just bring the neighbors back outside to compare airhorns. It would give those John Deere retirees something to do. I know "Waterloo Airhorn Days" The first Saturday of the month you can point them toward Cedar Falls. Waterloo, Iowa Airhorn Capital of The World.
  10. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 04, 2010 10:15 am
    TJ - Thanks very much for the info about the families! I think everyone is pleased to know that everything has turned out well!!
  11. gkb32
    gkb32 - August 04, 2010 9:32 am
    purrdog said: "The younger generation of today, in many cases has NO respect for others, especially the older generation. While there are a lot of decent respectful people in the world, there will always be those whoe have no respect for anybody. The more annoyed we get with those kinds, the more they want to annoy us. I know the police have more important things to do than to go after these disrespectful idiots. Hearing aid companies are already enjoying a "boom" in business as a result of boom boxes. "

I don't think this is as big of a deal as everyone is making it. I think it's more generational. Back in the 50's, is was that rock and roll music, kids wearing jeans and leather jackets, and driving their hot rods. In the 60's/70's, it was the hippies and their drugs and free love and again, drug music. Now you have loud thumping music.

I don't like it when the loud bass cars pull along side me either. But I'm sure back in the mid-80's when I was cranking Motley Crue on my car stereo, the "older folks" who pulled up along side me didn't like that either.
  12. purrdog
    purrdog - August 04, 2010 8:21 am
  13. mother3
    mother3 - August 04, 2010 1:25 am
    Casablanca - Yes, these creeps are destroying our town. Our children rejoice at getting the heck out of dodge to attend college. Many vow to their parents that they won't return to Waterloo because it's such a hell hole, welfare mentality community where the norm is shooting up the neighborhood! At least we've parented well and youth realize that the opportunities elsewhere will be more pleasant.
    I applaud Mr. Herold, what a clever, ingenious contraption he rigged up.
    The only error in the whole debacle (other than the arrest) was calling the loud music "hippie music". My husband pointed out most folks 62 years old would have enjoyed that genre.
  14. DaddyTJ
    DaddyTJ - August 03, 2010 11:31 pm
    Purple Panther, this is not the first time I've revealed my identity. I tend to do that when my father is being talked about.

And Nerd, though I can not speak for Deputy Mullikan's wife as I have not seen her in many years, I can assure you that the Hoing and Rice family are doing just fine. Both of Officer Rice's children are married and have children of their own and my own brother and I have children of our own. With the exception of my brother, we all still live in the area as well. Needless to say we're fine and while we miss our father's, we really wouldn't have life any other way. I speak for my family and I know Rice's family feels similar, why worry with the "What if's" in life? They won't get us anywhere and if they were alive, we definitely wouldn't have our kids or the family life we had. We rest easy knowing our dad's are up there looking down at us, shaking their head and laughing at some of the crazy crap we do.
  15. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 03, 2010 8:55 pm
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion! I don't hate anyone, Most people are of the opinion that anyone who assaults, injures or kills a law enforcement officer, that person deserves the maximum possible sentence!!! When I found that info online, I wondered how those officers families had managed after the deaths! Hopefully all is well with all 3 families!
  16. Purple Panther
    Purple Panther - August 03, 2010 5:44 pm
    DaddyTJ said: "THE NERD said on: August 1, 2010, 10:51 pm WARDSKI - I located the information online, I just read about the death of those 3 law enforcement officers - that was really tragic, I hope the scum-bag perp rots in hell!! The Nerd, you're a hateful person aren't you? James Michael "T-Bone" Taylor is serving two life sentences without parole in the Anamosa State Prison. He has served his prison life in Ft. Madison, Newton, Anamosa and at least one prison in Indiana. He will never leave the state of Iowa again by order of Gov. Terry Brandstad.As the youngest son of Officer Michael Hoing, I don't hope he rots. I hope he regrets what he did. I hope he can be an example for people in the area. I hope he has an impact in prison for those who will be released not to do what he did. 29 years ago, my father was taken from me and there hasn't been a day in my life where I've felt the kind of anger towards him that you displayed in your post. Don't hate man, when you allow yourself to be that angry, the hate controls you and your life, rather than you controlling you and your life. :)"

So now your identity is revealed...
  17. tallman
    tallman - August 03, 2010 2:35 pm
    To some degree I understand how Herold feels. The windows in my house and car have been vibrated more than a few times by those who think I might enjoy listening to a bass "ba boom, ba boom, ba boom, over and over and over or to some rap crap using the "N" word and M..... F..... and B.... repeatedly in what some morons call music. They don't care if there are small children in the area or not. They're just all self-consumed and think of no one else.
  18. DaddyTJ
    DaddyTJ - August 03, 2010 11:12 am
    THE NERD said on: August 1, 2010, 10:51 pm

19. casablanca
    casablanca - August 03, 2010 10:59 am
    plain truth,imfireball and the nerd all have it right. I moved into my house 3 1/2 yrs ago and have had 3 differnt renters in the house next door. each a bigger set of losers then the next. I had one night where I called 5 times, cops came the first 3 times said a couple words to the losers and left. everytime they left more losers showed up, until the 4th and 5th times I called when there was 50 person gang fight in the middle of the street. on calls 4 and 5 the dispatcher told me to calm down. I watched a kid get stomped all the way across the street. That night at the end of it all, no one was arrested and the loser who gets the welfare check there got a ticket, which I will bet still hasn't been paid. Its the same story 2 and 3 yr old kids running into the street without supervision, dog running loose, idiots that don't inderstand what it is to have respect for others screaming and yelling at 1 am on any given night of the week. As I look out my window now there sits a pile of garbage waiting to blow into my yard. It is the little things that kill a neighborhood , that can kill a town. We need to make sure our new cheif knows that these kinds of problems are a priority to our residents and that if they will not take action that will result in changes, don't arrest us for taking care of our own problems. I will not have my tax dollars pay for losers to sit around neglecting their children,(aka their meal ticket) while getting drunk and ruining my neighborhood. We all need to stick together on these types of problems. because it seems to be norm in waterloo.
  20. wpdajoke
    wpdajoke - August 03, 2010 9:53 am
    It sounds like typical waterloo police not doing there job, so when they don't do there job then citizens will have to take action themselve's. End result the good guy gets arrested or shot in some cases! Carl you were lucky you came out a live. Here in Afghanastan we get shot at by the insurgents. The Waterloo police are are the insurgents in my book.
  21. Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat - August 03, 2010 7:35 am
    Sounds to me like probably BOTH were bad neighbors. My guess is they never talked or tried to work it out before the police were called. Communication is a great tool, and should be a first option...Before calling police. Calling the cops usually escalates problems and causes MORE hard feelings that could have been handled face to face.
    Sometimes people don't even realize they are being disrespectful or annoying. Also-Ask yourself if you’re being reasonable. Acting overly aggressively to a situation as in this case- just leads to MORE problems.
  22. timbrackett
    timbrackett - August 03, 2010 3:21 am
    I wish my neighbors would play "hippie" music. I like some hippie music. If my neighbors played hippie music I would not blow an air horn, because then I wouldn't be able to hear the sweet music coming from my neighbor's property.
  23. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 02, 2010 4:41 pm
    When these parasites do not suffer the consequences of their transgressions, they are empowered to raise the bar of their anti-social behavior to the next level; their behavior is self-fullfilling, why wouldn't they? We are losing this war with each police response, when the transgressor walks free, each beer can thrown onto someones manicured lawn, by another drunken lout! If the rule of law is not imposed, and it won't be, the situation is going to continue to deteriorate!
  24. gkb32
    gkb32 - August 02, 2010 3:19 pm
    First off, kudos to Mr. Herold. Give them some of their own medicine. Second off, also a bad job outta Mr. Herold for continuing with the police right there and even after they asked him to stop. I'm sure he was proving a point, but it would've been better had Mr. Herold escorted the officer to the offending neighbors house to have a discussion. Not doing what an officer asks, right smack dab in front of the officer, is not a bright move and being arrested was probably warranted.

Awesome stuff though. Gran Torino like.
  25. Imfireball
    Imfireball - August 02, 2010 2:16 pm
    I have called the police several times on my IDIOT neighbor. They are constantly out in the backyard shooting off fire crackers, playing loud music, and partying. All days of the week and until all hours of the morning. I get up early to go to work and granted I dont mind if they are partying thats not the problem... the problem is why cant they do it respectfully and quietly so that others can get some sleep? You shouldnt have to listen to the neighbors music etc. I have been known to get up at 6 am and go knock on his door to make sure he is also awake. Plaintruth is right... if you havent had this problem before, consider yourselves very lucky. Loud, Rude nieghbors SUCK! and the police arent likely to do anything about it.
  26. plaintruth
    plaintruth - August 02, 2010 10:23 am
    As a former city council member told me, “It does matter where you live” in Waterloo when it comes to police response and how matters like this are, or are not, dealt with. If you are fortunate enough to have never had a problem neighbor like this, you have no idea how horrible it is. I, along with too many people in Waterloo, can empathize with this man. I want to live where Skelloch lives: “Filed a formal complaint with the local police and court system and taken the neighbors to court on a disorderly conduct charge.” Good luck with that in Loo! I gave a statement of complaint to the police which went to the county attorney who laughed it off. The city council, city attorney, and mayor talked big and did nothing. The police came out and did little or nothing to repeated and numerous “neighbor issues”: weekly loud parties into the night with screaming people and children, theft of itmes including the gutters off my house and the wood used to build a fence between us which was still half-burned in their “recreational” fire, nails and beer cans thrown in my drive and left on my doorstep, using my drive as their own personal parking area, parking on sidewalks blocking the drive, infant child in diapers and dogs loose and unsupervised in the street for long periods of time, barking dogs 24/7, unlicensed dogs… all enforceable by code or law. The child eventually set the house on fire. But I was villainized for complaining. I was told to “stay somewhere else for awhile” other than my home because when you haven’t been able to sleep for 5 months, it makes a person edgy. I sold my home and moved; the new owners had the same problem and gave the house back to the bank when it wouldn’t sell. Now it’s a rental, and so went the neighborhood just like so many others in town. The “small complaints” DO need to be dealt with by the police and city that make the codes and laws to address such problems because these are the things that make a city worth or not worth living in.
  27. Doer
    Doer - August 02, 2010 9:13 am
    Class of 85
    Google "Broken Window Theory" and see what it did for New York. Letting little stuff go becomes the big stuff they should have addressed decades ago. if little laws have no consequences, why not push the envelope?
  28. class'85
    class'85 - August 02, 2010 2:44 am
    Doer said: "Way to make a point but you got to listen to the police or you are no better than the original offenders. Authoriities need to deal with the little stuff before it becomes the big stuff, that is the problem in Waterloo"
    If they responded to these petty grievances all day they wouldn't have time to catch the real criminals.

The guy got what he deserved because he made the problem worse by annoying everyone else in the neighborhood. Ignoring the police officer was selfish and ignorant.
  29. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 01, 2010 10:51 pm
  30. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 01, 2010 10:35 pm
    "The police have more important crimes to stop."?? I don't think that this is, or should be, the criteria for any law enforcement agency becoming involved in any illegal activity, regardless of type or degree of the crime! If it is, then we all are all in deep goo ... When a citizen calls the police they want their complaint taken seriously, then proper action, within the applicable law, taken by the responding law enforcement officer(s)! Whether attempted intimidation, harassment, loitering, threats, vandalization, noise abatement - we all want equal protection, under the law, from those losers who seek to deprive us of our property and sense of safety and well being! After all, isn't public safety the reason that we have a police department??
  31. iowa41
    iowa41 - August 01, 2010 9:35 pm
    I don't know the situation here ,but I used to live next door to a guy whose father was a police officer,he and his buddies partied all night long and had a habit of shooting guns at 3 in the morning and then denying it.The police always said I was the bad guy for complaining until he finally burned the place down making meth.Now he is in jail and the couple that is building a new house on that site seem nice and quiet,but I still shouldn't have had to put up with the noise I did for years.
  32. wardski
    wardski - August 01, 2010 8:23 pm
    Potato Feet said: "Anybody remember the result of the July 13,1981 noise complaint on Franklin Street? Mr. Herold should be applauded and given a brand new house and receive a Christmas card each year from the WPD!"

I will NEVER forget that day or week for that matter- Mr. Rice and Mr. Hoing and a Blackhawk co. deputy lost their lifes that week protecting us!!I appalud Mr. Herold for trying to do the right thing -- I know I have filed complaints againts my neighbor--P.D. shows up every thing fine for a while and 15 minutes. later loud music--vicious circle!!!
  33. Doer
    Doer - August 01, 2010 7:53 pm
  34. Roselady
    Roselady - August 01, 2010 5:07 pm
    The police have more important crimes to stop. If they did come out when the man called and asked them to turn it down and they didn't, they have no respect for the police.. whats the next thing they will be doing they should not be? Where are their parents?
  35. loo who
    loo who - August 01, 2010 12:51 pm
    lol. Good for him. I Think the police went too far in arresting him, though. Especially after he'd made numerous complaints and had no results. I guess the man had simply had enough! lol... hippie music.
  36. THE NERD
    THE NERD - August 01, 2010 11:29 am
    Obviously most people do understand how difficult it is to get the police to arrest people!!! Even if they trepass, threaten you, they will not arrest the low-lifes!!! I have discussed this with 3 different shift commanders, I called the Chief of Police, he did not respond! I called the office of the mayor, He did not respond but later another police captain called, I wasn't home at the time! I know that they have so much crud crime to solve, that they are busier than a one-legged man in a butt kissing contest, but We the law-abiding citizens of this community have concerns about our safety, our property being vandalized and the cruds whom they will not arrest!! Just what higher authority are to contact so that normal people such as the fellow with the horn can have their concerns addressed? I hope a local attorney steps forward and helps the horn person, demanding - if nothing else - written and verbal apologies from the arresting officer, the chief of police and the mayor!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH FOR GOSH SAKE!!!
  37. Potato Feet
    Potato Feet - August 01, 2010 10:10 am
  38. Purple Panther
    Purple Panther - August 01, 2010 9:47 am
    Oh, how much you wanna bet this will end up on The Smoking Gun?

Forgot to mention earlier "hippie music"? Dispute about an adjoining shed? He's got an axe to grind, nothing more. Shouldn't have acted like a big baby about it--and when police tell you to STOP doing something and you don't, YOU ARE GONNA GET ARRESTED. It isn't rocket science.
  39. badtoe
    badtoe - August 01, 2010 9:45 am
    I think this is awesome! It's too bad he did it again once the police arrived. He should have then addressed the authorities face to face to assure a complaint was filed. I'd guess there's a lot of readers who can understand his pain. Personally, I'd like a train horn in my vehicle to blast at some of these morons who think everyone needs to hear their thumpin' junk three blocks away on a regular basis. Just one horn blast to launch them out the other side of their vehicle would work fine.
  40. Report Abuse
    - August 01, 2010 8:14 am
    I would love to have Mr. Herold in my neighborhood. We have a smaller house for sale/rent in my neighborhood (only unoccupied house) and we would welcome Mr. Herold. He can bring his airhorn but he won't need it anymore. C'mon Waterloo PD..you made a mistake arresting this guy and I think you could have found a more equitable solution. The next loud stereo complaint on the offending neighbors better result in an arrest or I'm going to start accusing the WPD of prejudicial treatment of old guys.
  41. pyraxsys
    pyraxsys - August 01, 2010 8:01 am
    Now the Neighbors are happy, C tone Rap Music, how do you shut off the garbage noise? or better yet? any Ideas?
  42. Purple Panther
    Purple Panther - August 01, 2010 7:32 am
    Old man needs a hobby, leave the kids alone!
  43. class'85
    class'85 - August 01, 2010 7:01 am
    "Herold said it took a few minutes for residents to get annoyed and call police."

Ya think?

Fighting fire with fire doesn't work. If the police weren't doing their job then I would have got in contact with someone higher up and would have been persistent about it until the matter was resolved.
  44. skelloch
    skelloch - August 01, 2010 6:21 am
    He should have filed a formal complaint with the local police and court system and taken the neighbors to court on a disorderly conduct charge. That is exactly what I ended up doing and the offenders were using a "boom box" in a vehicle parked almost 1/2 block away. They were places on probation for six months and the problem has gone away. Where I live, a second disorderly conduct charge becomes a felony. Lesson learned.