Westgate minister arrested on sex abuse charges

2010-08-05T10:45:00Z 2010-08-05T10:52:04Z Westgate minister arrested on sex abuse chargesBy JOSH NELSON, josh.nelson@wcfcourier.com Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier

WESTGATE, Iowa - The minister for a Lutheran church in Westgate has been arrested after authorities say he sexually abused a 13-year-old girl.

Timothy Parker, 40, of Westgate, is charged with two counts of lascivious acts with a minor and one count of third-degree sexual abuse. Fayette County Sheriff's deputies arrested Parker on Wednesday.

Parker is a pastor at St. Peter Lutheran Church. The incident came to light when the girl told someone about it, the sheriff's office said.

Deputies initiated an "intense investigation" into the matter, including a search of Parker's home. The computer crimes department of the sheriff's office will review other evidence collected from the search. Other materials may be sent to the Iowa Internet Crimes Against Children task force in Cedar Rapids for further evaluation, the sheriff's office said.

Parker was taken to the Fayette County Jail, where he is awaiting an initial appearance. All three charges are class C felonies. Parker could face up to 30 years in prison and register as a sex offender if convicted.

The investigation continues. The sheriff's office said anyone with information pertaining to the case can call (563) 422-6067.

1. situation
    situation - August 06, 2010 2:14 pm
    DaddyTJ said: "But yet, there have been priests taken to court over this and found not-guilty who are still labeled and hated. Innocent until proven guilty. I'm not saying that what the Catholic church has done in the past is right, what I am saying is everyone unfairly labels all Catholic priests as pedophiles, so should I unfairly label all Lutheran pastor's as pedophiles?That's my point. In YOUR eyes, all Catholic priests are guilty and pedophiles. I guarantee all the priests I know are not pedophiles. It is sad this happened within the Catholic church but try to remember that not every priest is like that and while there has been cover up, the church is working to correct that. Rome wasn't built overnight after all."

Nowhere in my statement did I even hint at a belief that ALL Catholic Priests are pedophiles. I happen to know several Priests that I have great respect for. I was highlighting the institutional cover-up of the crimes. DaddyTJ you're projecting.
  2. Potato Feet
    Potato Feet - August 05, 2010 9:35 pm
    Are we all blind? We provide everything to our ministers and expect nothing in return except a prayer. Why do you suppose some choose to wear a big giant hat? Ask your church for a loan and watch the eyeballs get big! "UH,UH,UH, we're not a bank!" If you harm a child, you will be severely punished in prison, unless you are a 'man of the cloth'. Very sick people want to hear all the details of your sins....it gives them sick ideas!
  3. DaddyTJ
    DaddyTJ - August 05, 2010 7:12 pm
    situation said: "A little touchy aren't we DaddyTJ? People don't believe that Catholic Priests are the only religious leaders that have molested children. We all know that this crime can come from any source, even trusted family members. But before you lump another organization in with the Catholic church you need to remember how the Catholic Church ignored warning signs that its Priests were molesting kids. Also that they then hid Priests to protect them from prosecution in the courts that all US citizens have to answer to. You are reaching to draw this comparison. This man was arrested after the first accusation and will answer in court for his crimes. Something that many guilty Catholic Priests will never have to do."

4. wujethro
    wujethro - August 05, 2010 4:31 pm
    when a person is in a position of authority and trust over a minor child and does this, there should be a special enhanced penalty.
  5. Burt
    Burt - August 05, 2010 2:58 pm
    AZIA71: You read correctly. Since he is Lutheran, he is entitled to the benefit of the doubt and if convicted, it will be chalked up to an isolated incident. And damages will be paid by the local church, not the national Lutheran synod and they won't go after the Lutherans in Germany either like they go after the Pope.
  6. tee
    tee - August 05, 2010 2:50 pm
    I SEE MY COMMENT WAS "EDITED AGAIN"

Throw the book at him.Is that calm enough for big brother censors?It is a shame that i have saw references to drug use go through,but not a strong comment.I see from the comments of others where they now go?
  7. situation
    situation - August 05, 2010 2:42 pm
  8. DaddyTJ
    DaddyTJ - August 05, 2010 1:54 pm
    Ahh, so all these priests who are accused are actually innocent until proven guilty in a court of law as well? Wow, judging by all the Catholic haters out there, I would have thought differently. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

/sarcasm
  9. timbrackett
    timbrackett - August 05, 2010 1:27 pm
    DaddyTJ said: "How many Catholic bashers will even respond to this because it's not a Catholic priest? I've said before that it's not only Catholic priests doing this, that others do it as well. So in honor of all those people, I will say that this man should be locked up and the entire Lutheran cult should be shut down. At least that's what the non-Catholics say about us Catholics."

Any religion/denomination that systematically covers up abuse should be "bashed"! If evidence comes out that Lutherans are systematically trying to cover up sexual abuse within their organization then I will bash Lutherans as strongly as I bash Catholics.
  10. AZIA71
    AZIA71 - August 05, 2010 12:59 pm
    I must have mis-read the article. I thought it said he was arrested, not convicted. If convicted, he should get the book thrown at him.
  11. DaddyTJ