UPDATE: Couple arrested after baby chokes on bag of pot

2010-04-24T03:00:00Z UPDATE: Couple arrested after baby chokes on bag of potBy JEFF REINITZ, jeff.reinitz@wcfcourier.com Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier

WATERLOO - A Waterloo couple has been arrested after their 7-month-old daughter began choking on a bag of marijuana Thursday.

Police arrested Amanda Monique Mallit, 18, and Horace Phillip, 18, of 314 Randolph St. for child endangerment. Mallit was also arrested for interference with official acts, and Phillip was arrested for possession of marijuana.

Paramedics were called to their home at about 7 p.m. because Mallit, who is pregnant, was assaulted by another person. While Mallit and her daughter were riding to the hospital in an ambulance, the girl began to choke. When medics helped her, they found a bag of marijuana in the girl's mouth, according to court records.

Police later searched the home and found more marijuana within child's reach, records state.

After Mallit was released from the hospital, police attempted to remove the child from her arms for safety reasons, and Mallit allegedly resisted and shook the child, according to court records.

Phillip admitted ownership of the marijuana, records state.

1. unifight84
    unifight84 - April 28, 2010 8:31 pm
    I've seriously posted about 6 comments on this story, and none of them have been posted. What gives? Are they being editted? Have I said something that was not appropriate? Am I not entitled to an opinion like everyone else on here? It's really making me angry.
  2. sidelines
    sidelines - April 27, 2010 9:40 pm
    To those of you who want to blame the police I have one comment: Stop breaking the law and the police will leave you alone, it's a simple concept millions do it everyday. For those who cry that prohibitionists need to leave our country I have some questions: Are you SO depressed that you lash out in anger when someone tries to take away something that hurts so many people? Name one good thing that comes from illegal drug use? For every belief you might have that it will benefit society I will line up ten people who have had their lives affected negatively by drug abuse. I feel sorry for the family and hope they get the help they need as soon as they can.
  3. point of view
    point of view - April 27, 2010 4:22 pm
    I am curious why my previous comment on this (and all others I've submitted) are being censored? I hope the child is removed until parenting issues and substance abuse issues can be dealt with.
  4. NORMLkid83
    NORMLkid83 - April 26, 2010 9:07 pm
    i have to agree w/ bong, james_bong...
  5. meatgal
    meatgal - April 26, 2010 12:59 pm
    oops, forgot to add that I also agree w/ avee on that post too.
  6. meatgal
    meatgal - April 26, 2010 12:58 pm
    I agree w/ timbrackett on this one TOTALLY! this is just another example of bad parenting and it doesn't necessarily mean that every person that smokes or possesses marijuana is a bad parent.
    Of course this woman would resist having her child taken from her arms, what mother wouldn't? That doesn't mean that the police did anything wrong when they were obviously trying to do the right thing by the child...sheesh. LOLOLOL at facism and torture...too funny.
  7. Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat - April 26, 2010 10:43 am
    @ bong_jamesbong2001- I was thinking exactly the same thing. Of course she resisted them taking her child. And of course you are correct about the added charges... throw the book at em.. thats our WPD. Cuz they are caring kinda guys. Love your user-name BTW..
  8. unifight84
    unifight84 - April 26, 2010 8:06 am
    HAHAHA seriously bong? Paranoia much? Holy cow you are delusional. These people should be sterilized so that they don't put anymore lives in danger. You are going to blame the cops for shaking? She ALMOST KILLED her baby but stuffing a bag of pot down its throat. It's sickening.
  9. bong_jamesbong2001
    bong_jamesbong2001 - April 26, 2010 5:41 am
    "...police attempted to remove the child from her arms for safety reasons, and Mallit allegedly resisted and shook the child, ..."

Of course the police had NOTHING to do with shaking the child.... . Every good Mother lets the cops kidnapp her child without resisting.... Rubbish like this just makes me puke! Prohibitionists always go after families with children. This shaking incident was added to further burden the defense. Nothing else. How can one be a "good" parent when one is defined as a bad parent as an assumption rather than as a finding of fact. Charge those cops with shaking the child, interference with family relations and kidnapping. We ought to run prohibitionists right out of the country. We are sick of your fascism and torture!
  10. cowbud
    cowbud - April 25, 2010 10:20 pm
    Ok people, where in the article does it state that they are on assistance? I dont know these people, and maybe Im wrong, but you are assuming they are on assistance with no reason. Do you automatically think because they are young with kids they must be getting aid? Is it a racial thing? I dont get it. As for the pot, you dont know that both parents used it just because it was in the house.
  11. avee
    avee - April 25, 2010 8:24 am
    Good case for mandatory drug testing in order to get ANY kind of government assistance including taxpayer funded health care. If you fail the drug test you lose the kids and the government goodies. you either die or go out and get a job and try to be a contributing member of society.
  12. sidelines
    sidelines - April 24, 2010 10:00 pm
    Mr Brackett wrote: "I am one of those "wackos" and my reply is that if this child had choked on a nutty bar wrapper I would not be advocating that we shut down Little Debbie! I still maintain my position that marijuana should be legalized. Blaming marijuana for bad parenting is typical of the state of our society as a whole--no real interest in addressing the root of the problem (too much work, and looking at ourselves in the mirror). So we blame it on the marijuana instead of asking ourselves what kind of culture we have created that would allow for this type of parenting."

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! Have you ever used? news flash it doesn't make you smarter. Keep it illegal, throw the book at them and use this article to do a real Christian act, become a foster parent to the innocent victims.
  13. shameshame
    shameshame - April 24, 2010 2:00 pm
    avee said: "Not just kids having kids but "ignorant" kids having kids. Take the kids away from them and put them with someone that actually cares about them. "

I have to say that they got out of jail the same night. That is what's wronge with the law, they make a big deal about story's put it all on tv and the news then put them in jail and then release them. (shame to waste tax payors money on locken them up and lettn them out the same night) what is the purpose on puttn them on blast and them free them. WATERLOO IS BECOMMING A LITTLE CHICAGO.
  14. Purple Panther
    Purple Panther - April 24, 2010 9:54 am
    timbrackett said: "I am one of those "wackos" and my reply is that if this child had choked on a nutty bar wrapper I would not be advocating that we shut down Little Debbie! I still maintain my position that marijuana should be legalized. Blaming marijuana for bad parenting is typical of the state of our society as a whole--no real interest in addressing the root of the problem (too much work, and looking at ourselves in the mirror). So we blame it on the marijuana instead of asking ourselves what kind of culture we have created that would allow for this type of parenting. "

Right on! How many parents drink a fifth of vodka and shake their children? And I can bet you there are "parents" out there who think it's "funny" to let their kids have "just one drink".

But it's nice the see the DARE program money wasn't wasted on you, cfchef. You fell for their tripe hook, line, and sinker.
  15. timbrackett
    timbrackett - April 24, 2010 1:34 am
    cfchef said: "I'm suprised all of the wackos on this blog that message in to legalize it on every other drug article the Courier does havent done so already!! I'm glad they are in jail, it's a good place for them------ just like it is for every other dope head in this city."

16. shameshame
    shameshame - April 23, 2010 5:21 pm
    fresh said: "OMG! scarey future for the kids involved in this family structure "

I agree with you one hundred percent because they don't care about the kids safety because when they went back to search the home there was alot more so heck no they shouldnt get there kids back. PEOPLE LIKE THIS RECEIVE ASSISSTANCE TAKE ADVADGET OF THE LAW
  17. avee
    avee - April 23, 2010 4:02 pm
  18. Scrapper79
    Scrapper79 - April 23, 2010 3:53 pm
    Seriously?!?! What is wrong with people these days? I hope the mother was charged again for shaking that poor baby girl.
  19. ms_lil_redhead
    ms_lil_redhead - April 23, 2010 3:35 pm
    Bet they give this child back to these parents.....this is why child abuse laws need to be stronger
  20. lovinlife
    lovinlife - April 23, 2010 3:31 pm
    Wow - almost no words to even comment on this story/situation! Poor kids is about the only thing that comes to mind...another one on the way....lovely!
  21. likestodebate
    likestodebate - April 23, 2010 3:29 pm
    Unbelievable!
  22. BMarmie
    BMarmie - April 23, 2010 3:06 pm
    Let's make THEM choke on a bag of weed, and then shake them like rag dolls. Lock them away and lose the key, please....
  23. cfchef
    cfchef - April 23, 2010 2:22 pm
  24. smalltowngal
    smalltowngal - April 23, 2010 2:19 pm
    WOW...18 and pregnant with her second child...and obviously isn't providing a fit home for the first one. I will never understand God's plan in allowing these type of people to breed when there are so many good people who would do anything to be able to have a child of their own. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for the parents..I am not holding by breath, though!
  25. unitool
    unitool - April 23, 2010 1:25 pm
    Really? COME ON!! What is wrong with people?
  26. fresh
    fresh - April 23, 2010 12:54 pm
    OMG! scarey future for the kids involved in this family structure