WATERLOO -- The 2013 4-H Awards Banquet recently took place at Electric Park Ballroom.
This annual event, attended by 4-H members, parents and friends, recognizes 4-H youth for their achievement in club activities and project work and adult volunteers for their services to the program.
Black Hawk County 4-H and Youth Committee and the County Council assisted with the awards presentation.
Major awards were presented to outstanding 4-H Members, 4-H Clubs, Award Donors and Contributors for the 4-H Completion Awards:
Lions Club Award (top award):
- Stephanie Nielsen, 9-year member of the Bennington Boosters
- Kayla Wiley, 9-year member of the Bennington Boosters
Alumni Award (presented to former 4-H’ers who have contributed much time and talent to the
4-H program and community):
- Charlotte Nielsen
Outstanding Club Volunteer Award (recognizes outstanding service to local 4-H Club program):
- Dan Schmitz, Mount Vernon Pals
- Amy Swalve, Homeschool Heroes
Outstanding Club Leader (recognizes outstanding service and leadership to a local 4-H Club)
- Jolene Carolan, Lincoln Friendly Links
- Clover Award (presented to leaders for years of 4-H service):
- Amy Samuelson, 10-year pin
- Bart Samuelson, 10-year pin
- Mary Seekins, 15-year pin
- Laura Miller, 15-year pin
- Deb Mumm, 15-year pin
- Dale Port, 20-year pin
- Eleanor Meyerhoff, 40-year pin
- 10th Jacob Bechthold, Big Cedar Springers
- 9th Megan Smith, Cedar Falls Lucky Hawks
- 8th Jenny Swalve, Homeschool Heroes
- 7th Kayla Wiley, Bennington Boosters
- 6th Jennifer Wiley, Bennington Boosters
- 5th Jessica Carolan, Lincoln Friendly Links
- 4th C J Lyon, Homeschool Heroes
- 3rd Reiley Lichty, Lincoln Friendly Links
- 2nd Kayla Carolan, Lincoln Friendly Links
- 1st Cassandra Brustkern, Big Cedar Springers
Page Mumm Beef Award: Stephanie Nielsen, Bennington Boosters
Agriculture Excellence: Patrick Haight, Bennington Boosters
The Meyer Outstanding Dog Award: Laura Brammer, Cedar Falls Lucky Hawks
Photography Achievement Award: Caroline Hutcheson, Bright Eagles
Achievement Award: Patrick Haight, Bennington Boosters
Citizenship Award: Kayla Wiley, Bennington Boosters
Home Economics Award: Maty Ulrich, Bennington Boosters
Matthew Clark Lichty Award: Stephanie Nielsen, Bennington Boosters
Danforth “I Dare You" Award: Patrick Haight, Bennington Boosters; Emily Samuelson, Big Cedar Springers
Donors to the Black Hawk County 4-H and FFA Foundation include Life Members: Edward and Gayle Juhl, Don and Michelle Temeyer, Agnes Ulrich; Green Clover Members: Jerry and Joanne Kramer, Kevin and Diane Sittig and Bronze Members: Curt and Brenda Patterson.
The Black Hawk County Awards Banquet is partially funded by the East Central Co-op and Black Hawk Mutual Insurance.
Additional awards donors include Waterloo Lions Club, Black Hawk County Farm Bureau, Lyle Guldager, Gene and Becky Pint, Bobbie Jo Conklin, Ronn and Deb Mumm.
Contributors to the 4-H Completion Awards included Black Hawk County Farm Bureau, Barlee Farms, East Central Co-op, Black Hawk Mutual Insurance, P & K Midwest, BankIowa, Anton Farms, Albert Duroe, Hudson Printing, John and Helen Ackerman, Hudson Veterinary Clinic, Bovy Farms-Pioneer Seed.
Gene Pint of American National Insurance donated this year’s table favors, and Hansen Farm Fresh Dairy donated cheese.